1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT quotes 3.4 times as many men as women on A1

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In what was is it "bad data"?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good God man. The data is not skewed. The data is the data.

The conclusions you draw from the data are yours. If you want to make an argument that the Times is sexist, based on this data, despite the reasons that would explain why the numbers are what they are, that's on you. It makes you wrong, not the data.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm more concerned that Dick reads Slate first thing when he wakes up. :D

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am not defending the idea that the Times in sexist. The data is shit in proving that. What the story is getting at is the huge imbalance between men and women in politics and CEOs, which seem to get quoted more on the front page of the Times.

That data is showing that.

5. Dick Whitman

So then it's good data.

6. 93Devil

Depends on what you are trying to prove. If you are YF and wanting to troll to see if anyone wants to say the Times is sexist, then it is bad data.

7. 93Devil

I can poll a thousand people and come up with juice boxes as the most popular drink in America. I just won't tell anyone that the people I polled are children in day cares.

Is the data bad? No. I am just using it incorrectly.

8. Dick Whitman

But this is not an indictment of data as evidence. It's an indictment of poor data collection. Riptide seems to argue that data-as-evidence is inherently useless or, if I want to be charitable, not very useful.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's assume election stories were on 1A quite a bit last year. The presidential and vice-presidential candidates on both sides were all men, so that would account for a pretty high percentage shift.

This is like when Gannett said, "We need to quote more minorities, but athletes don't count."

10. 93Devil

Does the expression "wrong data for the application" make you feel better? "Bad data" is a more common term when you are looking at something, as in "bad data for what we are trying to find."

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Who needs data for that one? It's obvious to everyone! [/sweedishspidermonkeyliberationfront]

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Were you worried that, after yesterday, Bodie would claim your crown as dumbest guy on the board?

I did not say you argued the Times was sexist. I said you would be wrong if you argued that based on the data.

Now you're just making it worse.

An unscientific poll is worthless. That is bad data. It's not even data. It's just junk.

The information from the Times is not a poll. It's just raw numbers, and the numbers don't claim to make any argument on their own. That doesn't make the data bad.

If you misinterpret the data, that's not a reflection on the data.

Draft saved Draft deleted