1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT profiles an example of 24-year-old entitlement FAIL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Anytime I read about student loans, I have to put in my plug for community colleges. It took me 10 years to pay off my loans as it was. I can't imagine what I'd have done if I didn't get out of my first two years of school debt-free. Got all the generals, still got to graduate from a school with a good reputation, but didn't have the overwhelming debt.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the Boston area, though, $40K isn't really middle class. More like, upper lower class or so, depending on the cost of living.

Still though, I find the whole "Can't work and look for your dream job" thing to be a load of bull. Yeah, you don't have as much time, but meanwhile, you're getting something you'd be able to put on your resume, and employers prefer hiring people who are already employed (as your's truly is finding out right now).

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First thing I thought of. Turn down a 40K job that you believe is beneath you? Gramps and grandma pay your college tuition? Mom and dad play 2K worth of rent every month for you? This guy has no interest in working. He'll be a permanent student. His family has enabled him his whole life, he doesn't want them to stop now.

The point about majoring in the area you want to work in - especially thees days - is a very god one.

Friend of mine is an HR manager for a company that was looking for someone in their accounting department. They were flooded with resumes. She got a call one day from someone following up on their resume submission.

My friend told her that all those to be interviewed had been contacted. The woman insisted she would be a good candidate. My friend, who did not recall the caller's resume, asked her to brief her on her education and relevant expereince. The caller said she had never worked in accounting and had a degree in sociology.

My friend's response: "I'll call you when we need a sociologist."

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My wife, who has been out of work for a year-and-a-half would be more than happy with the job this punk turned down.

Fuck him with a rusty fucking chainsaw.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The picture in the article was from behind, but I knew I recognized the guy!

[​IMG]

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You need to grow up. Seriously.

The problem with the article is that the focus is on this self-entitled guy, further enabled by his parents, instead of focusing on the real economic issues.

21 was right on with her take.

7. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Good to know the law has spoken and we know who is right and wrong now. Sorry, this guy's pissing and moaning isn't taken very well by me and others who have spent over a year looking for a steady job. The only one who needs to grow up is this whining bitch.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I read the thread title and thought maybe the Times did a profile of LeBron James and his ESPN Free Agency Jamboree.

Then I remembered LeBron is 25 years old.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

May I suggest a little break? Maybe come back tomorrow? The thread will still be here.

This kid's not to blame for your problems, nor did I notice him asking for your sympathy. He's certain his break is coming (and likely is wrong in that assumption), but that $40K job was still out there for someone who actually wanted it. If he made a dumb mistake, he'll pay for it. Or his parents will. Either way, if he's a prick, it's really not hurting you.

He has done NOTHING to you. Relax.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The thing about getting angry at people who are better off than you is that there are still a lot of people worse off than you.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

That's all great, I am relaxed. Doesn't change the fact that he's a major douchebag. 80 percent of the crap on this forum is bitching about celebrities and others who have "done nothing to us." Quit telling me what to bitch about. I'll bitch how I want to bitch.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't think I have it all that bad. I'm pretty content, I mean I can survive pretty easily with a roommate, I'm still young, it's just that the magnitude of this guy's douchiness is astounding. I can't believe a 24-year-old would reject $40,000 to live in his parents' house.

Draft saved Draft deleted