1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT (possibly) threatens to close Boston Globe in 30 days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dynasty brainpower diminishes exponentially, as most of us understand.

See: 43.

2. Close young Mr. BYH --
    The whole enterprise is losing all that money. They just choose to pin it on one scapegoat entity.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Michael, love 'em or hate 'em, right now, our community of people who sign up for the right to be able to post on our site is up to about 430,000. Trust me, newspapers would take that. You DO want their business. And while you can police comments to some extent, there's always going to be some crap out there. Just part of the deal.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your community of user names, not people.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What business exactly? Those 430,000 aren't paying a damn thing for that privilege.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The idea of attracting a mass audience and THEN figuring out to make money off it is exactly backwards. I know SF Ex is at a going concern. But I would not, were I running a business, let my customers think they can act like jackasses with no payback, anymore than if I was running a proper saloon. It ain't right.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Not to say newspapers are on the right track, but the business strategy you described is what Google uses for all its products. They are pretty profitable.

8. Just so I understand this - the Boston Globe was worth $1.1 BILLION in 1993 but if the NY Times Co doesn't get $20 million in concessions the the Globe will have to be closed. Correct me if I'm wrong but a shut down Globe has a value of what? Nothing? Even if the concessions are granted - the current management at NY Time Co will continue to piss away any remaining value to the Globe and eventually it will have to close anyway.

Maybe the only thing that can save the Globe is to sell it to Jack Welsh - a move the NY Times Co should have made 2 years ago.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

well, this sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted