1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT (possibly) threatens to close Boston Globe in 30 days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Apr 3, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They close the Globe in 30 days, they'll be paying out the ass in compensation -- including the WARN act... not gonna happen in 30 days

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Which paper is going to be around at the end of the month.
    Phoenix>Globe

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

$38 million for the DNA.

Not closing? In a two-newspaper town? Um, I know it's the Globe, but OK.

4. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

No, but they could announce in 30 days that the newspaper will close 30-45 days henceforth.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Some of those reader comments make me want to hurl...

6. KP

KP Active Member

That's true about every story regarding any subject.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Class, if a business says it is losing $85 million a year, exactly how much time does $20 million in wage concessions and lost jobs does its union buy?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

*raises hand* OOOH OOOH MR. GEE PICK ME PICK ME!!!

Could the answer be that the business isn't actually losing $85 million a year?

9. I swear that if I was a newspaper ME, I would block comments on every single story where we're reporting on our own misfortune. In what other business do the managers allow customers (and you can't even call these freeloaders that) to trash the product in broad daylight the way we do?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fixed.

11. Yeah, no shit.

From what some of the less crazy comments are saying, a lot of the loons reached the story through a Drudge link. Shocking.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a matter of self-respect. Newspapers should require the same ID for comments as for letters to the editor. If the gutless pukes can't put their name on their abuse, fuck 'em. You don't want their business.

Draft saved Draft deleted