1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT piece on the discomfort gay hockey fans in New York feel at MSG

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Well, that's "kissing up to the assholes in charge" nerve, as opposed to "threatening the gate receipts" nerve.

Big difference, as you and I both know.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's almost an impossibility with that fan base. It's the same group that chanted for Phil Esposito to feed "a spoonful of sugar" to a diabetic Bobby Clarke in the 1970s.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

Exactly my point. Just ask Isola.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Such as the parade of drama queens (Bill O'Really, Brit "I'm the Bald Eagle character from the Muppet Show" Hume, Charles Kraugha;ht;klheamer, et al) who are nipping out about Obama's pastor.

5. Anyone else now worry for Mr. Jennings' health, now that the paper has published his picture?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In the history of dumbest fucking posts, that might be the dumbest fucking post ever.

Actually, 100 (50?) years ago it was likely a totally acceptable thing to say. Now it's not.

You're an idiot.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

At Hockey games? Surrre.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You mean this happens at Madison Square Garden, where one of the time-honored traditions is making noise during the National Anthem?

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Far be it from me to defend the New York Rangers -- probably my least favourite organization in the NHL -- but this strikes me as a little unfair.

Here is the lead: "During the final 10 minutes of many Rangers home games, the spotlights focus on Section 407 as Larry Goodman, a longtime season-ticket holder, pumps up the crowd with a goofy dance."

Buried much later in the piece is this: "He said lately that he did not get invited to dance as often as he used to. “They’ve been trying to crack down on it,” Goodman said of the chanting. A Madison Square Garden official noted that some fans chanted only “Go Home, Larry,” and said the organization was evaluating whether to continue including Goodman in the game routine. Although he is hugely popular with fans, the team official acknowledged his dancing invited derogatory remarks."

Is it just me, or is this just a little contradictory?

That second paragraph indicates that the organization is actually trying to do something about this, recognizing there is an issue here. Goodman himself says he hasn't been invited to dance as much, and the lead of the piece is vague enough that it leads me to believe the writer did not attend a game where Goodman danced and the chant followed. "Many Rangers games" is very different from "last week against the Sabres" or a specific home date on the calendar.

No one should feel intimidated by what is being yelled by others around them. But this strikes me as someone wanting to embarrass the Rangers because they wouldn't put a PSA on the scoreboard. To me, the organization is making an effort here.

10. If I had to guess, I would say this story started from a glorified press release: The President of the Gay Lesbian Association goes to some games and doesn't like what he sees, so he goes to the paper and becomes the primary source for the story.

I honestly don't remember, was there anybody quoted who wasn't with either MSG or the GLA?

Just checked, and yes there were. Probably found through the president.

11. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

What about when Reg tells Anita that she better get re-married or her son's going to have a you-know-what in his mouth faster than you can say Jack Robinson? Can I still laugh at that?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It IS offensive. But don't expect any fount-of-wisdom solution . . . certainly not out of current MSG "management".

Draft saved Draft deleted