1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT piece on the discomfort gay hockey fans in New York feel at MSG

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. I'm saying that your stance of ignoring the assholes and let them do what they do isn't brave and un-PC. It's cowardly and how bad shit is allowed to happen.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Bad shit is allowed to happen when we empower the government to censor and stifle us based on someone's arbitrary idea of what is and what isn't offensive and which groups it is OK to offend......

And I'm fairly certain that the next step after Rangers fans chanting "fairy" to the opposing players will not be the beginning of the Fourth Reich.

Going to Rangers games is a luxury, not a necessity.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you don't mind if I make fun of your mother then?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, he's standing up for his own.

And of course, though he typed a very long response, he never really answered the question regarding what would happen if the insults were racial rather than anti-gay.

Damn you, Zag, for being so damn obnoxious about this that I end up agreeing with JR.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Ban their drunk asses, there is no place in sports for homophobic slurs. I'm for one sick of fans thinking they can do and say whatever they want without consequence.

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

Calling a Native American a "Redskin" will and should get your ass kicked in the proximity of any Native Americans I know - including myself, who has just enough native blood to have it boiling right now.

Go on brave one, find a place to test your theory.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Zag is the arbiter of what words are PC and what are potty mouthiness. Don't cross him, InEx.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

He's not being silly, Zag. Apathy can be a terrible thing, particularly when we're dealing with something that offends a large contingent of our society.

Have you never done anything to effect change? Or do you just trudge through life, blindly accepting such things as 'that's the way it is.'

If so, that's truly sad and it's a darn good thing there are others willing to fight for what they believe in. A nation of people like you would consume itself in no time at all.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I like this post.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Zag cannot have spent much time around Native Americans if he thinks only the old farts find "Redskin" offensive.

Like InExhile, I have enough native blood for it to be boiling right now.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In Zag's defense, you can call him a yellow belly and he doesn't mind.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you read that story again, you'll see that Madison Square Garden is privately owned. Thus, free speech doesn't apply there.

They can kick you out for saying "Alex Ovechkin sucks giant hairy monkey balls to your 9-year-old son in an effort to get him to laugh. They can kick you out for wearing a "Duck Fuke" T-shirt. They can kick you out for calling Glen Sather a faggot. They can kick you out for saying "Fire Isiah." Of course, if they did the last one, they'd practically have to empty out the arena. But still.

Freedom of speech entitles you to be an asshole. It doesn't entitle you to avoid the consequences of being one.

Draft saved Draft deleted