1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT piece on the discomfort gay hockey fans in New York feel at MSG

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Being an asshole doesn't mean you're not free from consequences. The Garden is within its rights to kick people out too. Of course the person who is offended could also kick the asshole's teeth in too. Which would also solve the problem.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes it does. And all that come with being an asshole.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Ace there are things that offend me every day, I do what adults do -- I get over it and move on.

We've created a class of world-class whiners and it is mostly because of self-important politically correct pinheads in the media who give them a forum to whine and make a federal issue out of anything they deem to offensive.

4. zagoshe

And the nice thing about being an asshole is that people come to expect it from you.....

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ignoring offensive stuff and "getting over it" sounds like a very brave way to go about life, Zag.

Probably a lot of Germans felt the same way in WWII.

6. tommyp

tommyp Member

Yet MSG has lots of nerve to remove a reporter's credentials for trying to talk with a fan ejected for holding up a "Fire Isiah" sign.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What in the name of Sir John A. MacDonald is a "French Canadian type"?

Is that different from an "English Canadian type"?

I love Zag's approach to life: let the louts, bullies and mouth-breathers win.

What a dolt.

8. zagoshe

And he could then also be arrested, prosecuted and then sued -- and then have to file for bankruptcy because he had to pay thousands in legal expenses and then perhaps his house when he loses his lawsuit and you know what -- he'd still be without Rangers tickets, the crowd will still call opponents "fairies" or whatever and the guy he beat up would be driving around in a new luxury car on his dime.....

Which is why, like I said, he could do what mature adults in a free society do and ignore the immature idiots, enjoy his experience despite the presence of drunk assholes and have a great time supporting the Rangers......

But that would require way too much common sense.

9. zagoshe

OK, now we've done the most SportsJournalists.com of things and made a ridiculous comparison to the era of the Nazi's.....

There are a lot of offensive things out there that we live with as a price of living in a free society and unless there is some evidence that Rangers fans are taking homosexuals and putting them in ovens, raping them or physically harming them, your comparison is silly.

But you knew that already.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, Zag, how about instead of directing their hatred at gays, they started taunting blacks , shouting the "N" word? Would that be acceptable?

You actually have no clue. It's astonishing.

11. zagoshe

Oh my goodness, you really hurt my feelings. So much so that I'm going to give up my season tickets and whine to the New York Times about how tough you've made my life.....

Sniff, Sniff

12. zagoshe

Correct me if I am wrong -- I didn't read that they are directing their anger at gays but rather they are using words like fairy that have come to mean some version of "weak man" or "Wuss" at players from the other team.

Further, you go to any rap concert or black comedian show and you'll hear the "N" word plenty and guess what, it offends a lot of black people and they choose not to go.

And frankly, by protecting certain words and demonizing we allow them to have far more power than they should. They are just words and the less you allow words to have power the more you take control and power over your own life.

Look at the word Redskin -- 100 years ago that was a very offensive term. Now, although there are still some old school Native Americans who probably find it offensive, it has no real power and is no longer offensive.

Hopefully is that some of these words like the "N" word (how silly is it that we aren't even allowed to use it) will lose that kind of power but the politically correct among us won't ever allow that to happen because they continue to write stories which empower the whiners among us who can't get over it and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted