1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT op-ed writer is so mad publications won't pay for his awesomeness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree. He definitely gets around to that. But not before he moralizes about the meanie publications that won't pay him what he's worth.

I also was completely put off - and I hope we're all in agreement here on this point - about him calling it "shockingly unenjoyable work."

Want a little cheese with that whine?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The key to monetizing content is writing more whiny, naval-gazing pieces.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

And for advancing The Narrative.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is dead-on.

You can absolutely make a decent living as a freelance writer. My wife does it quite successfully. The trick is, write for people who pay for your work and don't write for very prestigious websites that don't pay for your work.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Student-athletes?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think there's a big demand for those among military types ... :D

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I can agree with those who have said that publications shouldn't have been giving away material for free.

At the same time, there are plenty of writers out there who are only concerned with exposure and don't care about compensation. They play as much a role in this as those who give it away for free.

Perhaps if more writers asked themselves, "Isn't my writing really worth something more than just exposure?" then this wouldn't be an issue. For many of those here, I think they are.

But what about those who don't post here? Do they feel that way or do they really not care for whatever the reason may be?

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. Outside The Huff Post, he writes that editors requesting free work are from financially strapped publications and websites. And they're the ones asking for what essentially is charity. They're contacting him.

But hey, I don't feel like going to the supermarket today. If anyone wants some valuable experience in the home food delivery sector (and can chip in a little as well) I have a great opportunity for them.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And the word-of-mouth you spread if they do it well will be worth more than any money you give them for the food.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems like we're arguing past each other here. Tony and others, you think it's an economic mistake for publications to pay low wages because the product will thus suffer and readers will notice and forgo reading any longer. The NYT piece argues that publications should pay because otherwise they are big meanie pants who should reward his prestigious degree and unenjoyable hard work. Just because.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just curious, how many here have been approached to write something for free?

I don't get many freebie calls, but I have been approached to write for barely anything.

It is infuriating.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've had people respond to a story query with a conditional acceptance: "Gee, that sounds like a great idea," then letting slip, "of course, we won't be able to pay."

CLICK.

Draft saved Draft deleted