1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT on Prager U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The problem with that is Prager U (along with so many Trumpists like Dinesh D'Souza) consider that set in stone. They say that since Democrats in the 1910s joined the Klan, then Republicans in the 2010s can't be racist. They totally ignore the seismic shifts in the two parties in the 1960s and 70s.

Smallpotatoes and Baron Scicluna like this.
  2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

No alarm bells ringing for me.

Did a quick scroll through YouTube. Most PragerU videos have a few hundred thousand views there. And they top out around mid-7 millions. I suppose a billion views is possible when you add the home-site-hosted views, but even then I’m not sold on that as a marker of any type of outstanding influence.

Not sure what type of info companies need to disclose in California, but I'm skeptical that there are 50 people in that mostly empty office and that they are bursting at the seams for new space.

Pretty much everything in this story smelled a bit.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Define "better."

I've found, over the last several decades, the more higher education one gets the less open-minded they are, or, if they are open-minded, it's one of those "we can't have standards and rules and judgments" stances of open-mindedness that often dovetails back into "I'm fairly privileged and I'll do whatever the hell I please."

They're right because they have so much education - and if you disagree, they're quite likely to play the same "have you played the game?" card coaches and athletes do.

Liut likes this.
  4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I find people with less education much more likely to adopt and entrench around the ideas of their neighbors and parents without ever actually questioning what they believe, who they're supporting and why. That's certainly not true of everyone on either side of this. Getting beyond our anecdotes about how many GED dumbasses and masters degree assholes we've met, though, the right's demonization of education is among the reasons I've swung away from the Republican party and, by the looks of things, won't be returning any time soon.

matt_garth likes this.
  5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

A less-educated and servient population -- all of whom, as George Carlin eloquently said, are so busy with a red, white, and blue cock up their asses they don't care about getting fucked by the people they vote to power just to "own the libs" -- is exactly the voters the GOP wants.

Draft saved Draft deleted