1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT on Jay Glazer's conflict of interest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 27, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Strahan's no role model, in my mind.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This is really my issue.
    I really don't give a damn about Jay Glazer and would not exchange my career for his, but is the day coming when editors look askance at me because I'm not hanging out with/fist bumping/dressing like the players?

And yeah,he absolutely breaks stories, on my beat and everybody's else's in the NFL. There's more I could say about why that happens, but I'd just sound like a whiner.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Would it have anything to do with Benjamin and/or Franklin?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the rules and ethics of our profession work in our favor with some sources too. If someone knows you have a standard to uphold, some of them trust you more. If they think you'll fuck them over at the drop of a hat, you might get nothing.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll become a mixed martial arts trainer, then get some scoops when athletes drop dead from laughing right in front of me.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing there are a lot of editors who read this article and think Glazer is a disgrace to the profession who will be complaining to their beat writers the next time Glazer kicks their ass on a story.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Glazer's situation is unique. I haven't seen another one like it. (At least, not that I can think of.)

I have a lot of respect for his reporting, though. He's earned his success; having done what many of us try to do -- work hard and create a place for himself. (And, that was before the MMA stuff even entered the picture. He'd established himself prior to that.)

But please spare me "print ethics" stuff. Tell me how his training athletes is any different than writing a book with one. And Les, you know I love ya, but the fist-bumping of athletes is not solely a broadcast phenomenon. There is a guy at your paper who trademarked that behaviour long before he became a TV star.

By the way, feels weird not seeing you at a Flyers Cup final.

8. Mizzougrad96

Here's a conversation overheard at ESPN right now.

Chris Mortensen: Wow, that's terrible about Glazer. What a scumbag. No wonder he breaks all those stories. He's a disgrace. Boss, if anyone needs me, I'll be working on my story about how Jay Cutler is misunderstood and how he's the second coming of Joe Montana. No, I'm not doing that so Bus Cook will give me better access to Brett Favre, why would you think that?

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

That guy actually is not at my paper, Elliotte, though we share the same Web site. Confusing to us as well.
    I will be there for Game 3, finally. Look forward to seeing you.

10. cortez

cortez Member

Glazer's constantly patting himself on the back really gets tiresome.

As I recall, he was hyping Matt Leinart before last season, about how his offseason workouts (Glazer's) had made him tougher, etc. How that work out?

11. Mizzougrad96

Well, we won't know until he actually starts, but every indication is that the Cardinals are unhappy with Leinart this off-season. Glazer wrote early in the off-season that Leinart was doing well in MMA training during the off-season to add toughness, which may be true, but should be written by someone other than the person who was training him or with him.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Glazer has to write that it is working to promote his company. Any story he writes that mentions his MMA training is a pure propaganda.

Draft saved Draft deleted