1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: No more WH correspondents dinners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by D-Backs Hack, Apr 30, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The NYT will be a punch line at next year's CD

2. And the 14 people who came to see toastmaster Norm Crosby will laugh into their Wheatena.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well when you invite Karl Rove to be your guest and he won't even comment on the Sheryl Crow/Laurie David flap, you may have a problem.

Likewise, the dinners serve as a reminder that many in the DC press decided it was cooler to be buddy-buddy and get calls from the likes of Karl Rove than to actually question anything.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True dat.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

He's not the cutting edge on a butter knife.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

But not surprising, since: 1) Paul Lynde has been dead for 30 years; 2) Charles Nelson Reilly was probably busy; and 3) after the surgical evisceration performed by Stephen Colbert at last year's WHCA fandango, nobody with a sense of humor that anyone under the age of comatose appreciates was going to be allowed within two zip codes of this event.

I put this event and the Gridiron as the ethics question on my last midterm, whether it was simple source cultivation or an over-the-line, conflict-of-interest. My class was pretty much split down the middle on their responses.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Are these the dinners where they mail the entrees?

8. Its a fairly expensive event (even without having to pay the Secret Service expenses). In an era when layoffs and very poor performing stock prices are the norm - how can papers like the NYT justify this cost? Its not even a correspondents dinner anymore. It is a status event where people like Sheryl Crow can fly in on a private jet to chastise anyone who will listen about global warming. Last year it was a NFL QB reunion with people like Phil Simms and Ben Roethlisberger in the crowd.

Wasting money on an event like this is the height of bad business practice by any newspaper that is bleeding red ink. And taxpayers having to foot the cost for the President's security detail is just as big a waste of money.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Newspapers aren't bleeding red ink.

Magenta, maybe.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I guess Norm Crosby, Nipsey Russell, Fanny Flagg and Elaine Joyce were unavailable.

If they wanted to go old school but still funny, Bob Newhart.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rich Little hasn't been significant since Nixon resigned...

Colbert was brilliant last year...

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I felt bad for him on his time at the podium. They were better off calling on those two old men in the balcony from the Muppets Show than him.

Draft saved Draft deleted