1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: "Living With Less. A Lot Less."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In Portland

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sheathe your lack of stuff in a Philip Johnson or Richard Neutra glass house and it's referred to as 'minimalism.'

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't figure out whether the guy was a bigger asshole when he had a lot of shit, or a little.

"roommates to manage" - oy vey

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I read your post quickly and thought it read "sheathe your staff" which is probably a good idea if you live in a glass house.

You should also eat at places like the Four Seasons with the minimalist interior.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I am a vintage baseball/football/basketball card hoarder. Sometimes I wonder what my life (and office) would be like if I cashed in all the crap I have accumulated over the last 30 years or so. Then again, I couldn't let my babies go, could I. I have this dream I am going to give it all to my two sons one day and they will appreciate it. Chances of that actually happening?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am a vintage baseball/football/basketball card hoarder. Sometimes I wonder what my life (and office) would be like if I cashed in all the crap I have accumulated over the last 30 years or so.

Not that much will change. Try selling your stuff in real arm's length transactions (as opposed to looking at prices online). If you have a nice collection, you probably can sell enough to have a nice steak dinner.

I have this dream I am going to give it all to my two sons one day and they will appreciate it. Chances of that actually happening?

Good luck. When your boys are old enough, they probably won't give a shit, and will spend their time fucking their holograph avatar in their bedroom with the doors closed.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I DON’T know that the gadgets I was collecting in my loft were part of an aberrant or antisocial behavior plan during the first months I lived in SoHo. But I was just going along, starting some start-ups that never quite started up when I met Olga, an Andorran beauty, and fell hard. My relationship with stuff quickly came apart.

So he did all for the nookie...

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pics or GTFO.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Depends. Is the avatar a 6?

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Seriously though, the article rubbed me the wrong way. How adorable that this rich, single guy -- with the freedom to travel the world on a whim while having the luxury of downsizing in style and buying the kind the custom-designed furniture to enable him to host 12 people for a dinner party in his 400-foot space -- lectures the rest of us about how to live.

Draft saved Draft deleted