1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: Legalize Marijuana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Interesting series launching in Sunday's edition about the effects of marijuana prohibition. The conclusion? Legalize it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/27/opinion/sunday/high-time-marijuana-legalization.html

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I loved this footnote on the first story in the series ...

On Monday at 4:20 p.m. Eastern Time, Andrew Rosenthal, the editorial page editor, will be taking questions about marijuana legalization at facebook.com/nytimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/opinion/sunday/high-time-let-states-decide-on-marijuana.html?opinion-series

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the 21st century ... about five years late to the party.

And the 4:20 thing? Not even close to a novel concept, even for the NYT. An alt-weekly that publishes daily on its various blogs has posted marijuana-related content five days a week, without fail, at 4:20 p.m. for the past three to four years.

As someone who does not partake but who voted in favor of legalization, I think it has gone well since implementation on Jan. 1 with a few minor hiccups. The BIG one, for me, is the edibles. That ABSOLUTELY needs to get under control. And the smoking in public, minus April 20, has been cut down considerably in the past few months, from what I can tell.

Basically, people here are in favor of the legalization, just do it in your home or in clubs and don't blow it in everyone's face.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

But then they'll inevitably criticize it.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

NYT ed. board has just gone lazy.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Supporters of legalization must be disappointed as they wake and bake this morning (or afternoon).

I mean, a New York Times editorial is nice, but a front page news story in the Chicago Tribune would have a much bigger impact.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until kids get shot over their pot stash.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This might be my favorite YankeeFan post ever. Could you work in something about it only being sports so ethics don't matter?

9. YankeeFan

Not to pick but real change happens locally.

And in the era of social media every publication has a national reach.

I get it, you revere the Times and think that if they don't write about it, then the news didn't happen.

10. Songbird

The Afghan Goo was wicked sticky so they woke up buzzed and forgot that it did, indeed, happen.

11. YankeeFan

When they come out for the legalization of cocaine, it has to be in a column by Charles Blow.

12. Songbird

Fire Shut Up in My Nose

Draft saved Draft deleted