1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT LeBron sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Jul 12, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Where are you seeing this praise? The OP's link said it is cheeky and that writer liked it, but I'm actually surprised nobody here even is saying they like it just to be contrarian.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great cover for NYT Magazine. Supremely awful for the daily paper.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I did not like that, Sam I Am.

The only time the concept worked was in a single story. Joe Falls wrote it about the Tigers sometime in the '60s. It read something like:

BALTIMORE -- This is what the Detroit Tigers accomplished last night.

And so on.

Once, it was OK. Once.

4. VJ

VJ Member

Got a bunch of praise on Twitter from the media people I follow (though most of the designers hated it) and a ton of blogs including Deadspin had posts about how brilliant it was.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, just read Deadspin's. But I wouldn't expect Deadspin and SBNation to say it sucks. Everyone on this thread and everyone in our newsroom thinks it's ridiculous.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like something Deadspin would like, the newspaper equivalent of a cheap one-liner with nothing else backing it up whatsoever.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'll give 'em this -- they did center it perfectly.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The fact Deadspin said it was "clever" says all you need to know about Deadspin, and anyone slurping and citing it is a joke (unless it was a couple of days ago when it rightly ripped down a certain columnist; now THAT was pretty good). This? This is a frickin' joke, and shows that Deadspin lives in the past 24 minutes and not the past 24 months and couldn't be bothered with the fact the exact same approach happened in January 2013.

It was clever then. It was junior high-ish this time.

Send in the clowns and Volkswagens.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The only time I liked something similar was the first time I saw it, in the mid-1990s when the sports columnist for the Peoria, Ill., paper died at a young age of a heart attack. The story on it was on 1a, and on the sports cover, his column sig was at the top left of the page in the normal spot, and the rest of the space where his column would usually go was left blank.

I'm sure 1,000 papers had done similar things before that, but it was powerful.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Agree. It's a mag thingy.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Getting a lot of Facebook love, from what I can tell,

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It'd work for a magazine because LeBron James would've signed by the time a glossy hit news stands.

Draft saved Draft deleted