1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT LeBron sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Jul 12, 2014.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Stealing from themselves isn't stealing, I guess.
    This lost a lot of its punch due to the earlier effort.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ugh. Looks like something a college paper would do and then be discussed with the advisor after the ensuing "This is lame" feedback.

As said, design for the readers and not for other designers. Big fucking waste of valuable space, too.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exactly. At least the HOF cover made a true statement. This is just idiotic and a waste of space. And as has been said, the NYT had plenty of things in its own back yard that should have been on the cover.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

At least there's a lot of random low-level athletes who can claim that they were part of the lede story in the NYT's sports section.

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Terrible idea from the moment it was conceived to how it looked in print.

And even with the baseball HOF design (which worked better in execution), they still worked another story onto the page.

I guess they had nothing to report about Carmelo Anthony.

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

This is a cliche and serves no purpose for the reader.

And what really does the blank space mean? In Miami, it might work with a sense of nothingness. In Cleveland, they are filled with joy and endless possibilities in the future.

The theme seems to convey the James news was only one sentence. But sports was more than transactions.

I don't think the New York Times would do anything like this on 1A. The paper has opposite philosophy on the news front and sports. It carries through on the cliche that sports departments are toy departments.

This type of toy should be taken away from their designers and editors.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, the idea is that ESPN/etc were making such a spectacle of it, that the NYT was mocking that and just presenting the fact (although it is not accurate). Whoops! I see WHY they did it, but it's ridiculous.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The Hall of Fame treatment 18 months ago was lame, too. That blank page idea had been done by lesser papers before the NYT did it.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Laughable. Amateur hour.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I can think of one story in 13-plus years on this desk when I might have considered that treatment.

When St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock, from Tupelo, died in a car crash, the NL schedule read:

Chicago at St. Louis, ppd., player death

Yeah, I might have tried that given the drama of the thing. But it's a once-in-a-designer's-life thing.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm guessing on Sept. 12, 2001 you could have done this and given the pages to other sections.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Weirdly, it was the second time in five years that a Cubs-Cardinals game was postponed due to a player death, the first being when Darryl Kile died hours before their game.

Draft saved Draft deleted