1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: 'I Was Groped on the Subway.'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, May 13, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You just gotta pick the right subways to ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I rode the NYC subways once and some of the stuff I saw scared the willies out of me. Not a place for the faint of heart.

Didn't some dude get pushed off the platform and die on the tracks a few months back?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I ride the subway most days.

Granted, I might be a contributing factor to others finding it disgusting. I don't eat on the subway, but who knows what odors I contribute to the "petri dish"? Maybe I am one of the lowlifes Frank is talking about. I mostly see mixtures of working-class people trudging back and forth between jobs half asleep (I ride very early in the morning sometimes, before the sun comes up), and at certain hours, professionals doing their daily commute. A lot of tourists on weekends.

There are certainly homeless people and some mentally ill people down there and sometimes kids who are trouble, but it's really not all that bad -- for me, at least. I get the feeling groping is more of a problem than most people would realize. I am not a woman, so no personal experiences with it, but it's a crime that is hard to catch, and most women are not going to report it, which I think emboldens the kind of pervert who would do it.

On the lines that have newer cars with the automated messages, one of the public service messages is something like, “Ladies and gentlemen, a crowded subway car is no excuse for an improper touch. Don’t stand for it, feel ashamed or be afraid to speak up. If you feel you have been the victim of a crime, please notify a police officer or an MTA employee. Remain alert and have a safe day.”

The first time I heard it, I was thinking, "Really? That is necessary?" I think it actually is. But don't take that to mean the subway is unsafe or the way Frank characterized it. It is really a remarkable system. It gets you to most parts of NYC you might want to go to, very often does it more quickly than by cab or bus, and at $2.50 a ride, it is one of the best deals you will find in NYC.

Draft saved Draft deleted