1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Hall of Fame sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Space is at a premium for sports.
    I like that space filled with content.

There could be two or three more stories in that edition.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Sucks. Lazy and pretentious.

The few people left who buy newspapers do so for written content, not to massage the egos of cutesy page designers.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Lazy? I can see pretentious, but how was this lazy? Because it's blank? Much more effort was put into this centerpiece than the average newspaper's Thursday section.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They also ran two the day before, one on Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens likely not making it and another on why the process needs to be changed. I don't think more event coverage is the solution. My biggest issue with the cover is the event didn't merit the blowout treatment, so adding another story or two about the vote seems like overkill.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I meant there would be room inside for other stories on other subjects had the HoF coverage started out front. NYT doesn't have a big sports newshole to begin with, does it?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The section was five pages. At most, they could have added one story by jumping both Hall of Fame stories in sports to the inside. Again, they don't do six-story fronts ever.

Oh, and one other thing I missed: There was an A1 story on Bonds and Clemens missing. Not sure if it had any refers with it.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's what I see when I see your posts anyway. :D

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

News judgment, folks.

This is the equivalent of running a full-page photo for the All-Star Game.

Draft saved Draft deleted