1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Hall of Fame sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Amen. To me, this the Times saying that for all the talented writers, columnists, graphic artists and designers on the payroll that they expect readers to turn to for the news, the better way for them to tell this story is to put out a mostly-blank front page.

It's a big nod to style over substance, which never used to be what I thought the Times was about.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Y'all realize there was extensive coverage inside, right?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I didn't see any refers. Are readers expected to just know this stuff?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's a very reasonable criticism. There is a line at the bottom of the white space with top vote-getters, but to my knowledge, there was no refer. I don't have it in front of me.

Also, after looking again at the paper, I was wrong, and this was inside the business section.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like that Lafayette design a lot.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I work for a company that needs sales people; I'd love to hire whoever it was who got that past the higher-ups. That kind of sales skill would make you a quarter-mil a year, easily, in my business.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aren't they the paper that, in 2007, used "Detroit Pissed On" when the basketball team (pistons) lost to Cleveland in the playoffs?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One idea I had years ago was to leave half a page blank, except for the sentence "This space devoted to those soon to be killed in the war in Iraq". Sort of the print equivalent of a broadcaster's moment of silence.

Didn't fly. :( Party poopers.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like the Roid Rage cover the best.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Times cover was an awful decision.
    Reminds me of an early lesson in J-101.
    Young reporter sent to cover a wedding. Reporter comes back, editor asks for the story.
    Reporter: "There is no story."
    Editor: "No story? Why?"
    Reporter: "There was no wedding."
    Editor: "Oh, what happened?"
    Reporter: "The church burned down."

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Never thought of that, but I laughed when I read it. If we did it once, I wouldn't have minded. Many times? No way. My basic philosophy on things is: save your bullets. When you do fire them, carries more weight.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Surely you understand it's nothing like that. This was a design decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted