1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Hall of Fame sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Jan 10, 2013.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Was there any explanation inside about the blank front and its significance? I thought it looked fine, but as others mentioned that was a big space to leave blank. Would plans have changed if a big sports story came up late in the night? Leaving such a big space blank indicates no noteworthy sports news happened yesterday.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

that would be very cool ... if it was your college newspaper.

3. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Yep. Agreed, Mr. Petty. And speaking of college newspapers....

The best I've ever seen this done was a few years ago at LaSalle University (in Philly). This wasn't a totally blank front page, and I thought it was pretty cool, given the circumstances. Basically, there was an embarassing story about a professor (and exoctic dancers!), and the Administration - who funds the student newspaper - first told them they couldn't run the story, then told them they could run it but it had to be below the fold. Pretty cool response.

http://apple.copydesk.org/2011/04/15/college-weekly-finds-a-clever-and-powerful-way-around-the-rules/

A-10, Represent!

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

But think of how much money they saved on ink . . .

At first blow I thought it was cool, got a chuckle out of it -- hadn't seen it done elsewhere before -- but there are much better ways to comment on the story and make it relivant a day after the fact. This was a wasted opportunity and very gimmicky.

I do like what the LaSalle paper did, though.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How often does a print design generate this much talk without a glaring mistake or over-the-top headline?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed with Mr. Petty. If it's a college paper, yes. But it's The New York Times ... and its grandstanding IMHO.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

how many pages did the death of this guy get on this site? i think you made a horrifically poor point:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wonder how many calls they got from readers saying, "You forgot to put stuff on the front page!" or people who thought there was a printing error.

Also reminds me of a couple of paid ads the Times ran when Sammy Davis Jr. and Jim Henson died. Both were full page, but only had their names and birth/death dates on them. Henson's had a small cartoon Mickey Mouse looking up at Henson's name with a tear in his eye, but I can't recall what Davis' page had.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Page wasn't 'blank.'

www.poynter.org/how-tos/newsgathering-storytelling/visual-voice/200172/new-york-times-seinfeld-esque-sports-page-shows-the-power-of-nothing/

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not just on this site. This page is everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

But as has been pointed out multiple times on this thread, it wasn't different. We're talking about it because it's The New York Times, not because it's innovative, creative or good.

12. What's next, a headline with "fuck" in it?

Draft saved Draft deleted