1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT fooled by EWU SID, others re: Rick Astley

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The whole thing. rickrolling. why it's funny. why it's a prank. why the NY Times would write about it. How it got screwed up.

2. When I read this over the weekend, my first thought was how much trouble would the EWU SID and any other school officials be in for their part in perpetrating a hoax on a media outlet.

Yeah I know it is a prank - but this is your job. This stunt - which like Ace, I don't completely understand - is completely unprofessional and makes EWU officials look 100 percent unreliable in passing info to inquiring media.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i find humor in rick rolling.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Is Rick Astley full paid up on the royalties he owes for stealing Michael McDonald's voice?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon. He's never going to give it up.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I've dealt with Dave Cook a couple of times and I don't think he'd knowingly pass along misinformation, especially in a situation like this.

I get the feeling that either Dave or the reporter had some facts confused and those made it into the story.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

agreed.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That is about as well played as anything seen here in a long time.

That clip is also the most entertaining thing to happen on Reese Court since Ray Giacolleti left for Utah.

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

It's just not funny.

That's the bottom line everyone seems willing to overlook when it comes to "Rickrolling". Why? I'm not sure. Faux cool or something ...

Draft saved Draft deleted