1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: ESPN pulled out of concussion doc project due to NFL pressure

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hardly surprising, but disheartening all the same ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/sports/football/nfl-pressure-said-to-prompt-espn-to-quit-film-project.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you're a "media partner" with a league. And have no backbone.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No shock at all here...

We saw how ESPN swept the NBA gambling scandal under the rug and I'm hardly surprised for a second to see this.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, no shock. Been down this road before -- Playmakers -- though this is far, far more serious.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, the program will get broadcast. And it will get covered. And ESPN will have to decide if and if so how it will cover the program. As a matter of pure business, they're making a mistake. I'd be astonished if the NFL ever got rid of a rights holder for any reason besides said rights holder not paying them enough.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is what I think too.

And, the opposite has been proven time and again. The best, most loyal media partner will be dropped in a second for an additional dollar.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I hope all those beat writers ESPN just hired know what they're getting into. I figure this serves as a good orientation.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The cat's out of the bag, NFL, so no sense trying to sweep this under the rug. Though I get the feeling I'm just beating a dead horse by saying that.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think any of them had the notion that they were going to be covering anything controversial.

10. What's the issue? Looks like ESPN wanted to tell an unflinching story & when the league wanted different, the network walked.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If appears there's a mentality in Bristol much like that at the Podunk Press when the wife of the biggest advertiser is thrown in the drunk tank and Mr. Advertiser "asks" the publisher to cover it up.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Statement!

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/08/statement/

Draft saved Draft deleted