1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Equality In The Military Editorial - Half the Story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Today's NYT has a very good editorial in support of changing law to allow gays in the military.

Well done except it's missing key fact as to origins.

Not one mention of the fact that President Clinton created the term and Executive Order. It caste his first few weeks or presidency in to controversy. Policy was a result of his in ability to deliver on his campaign promise of allowing gays in military.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/opinion/03wed1.html?ref=opinion

2. Do you think it's necessary to mention that? They have the year.

3. Boom_70

Yes - it does not state facts clearly. "Don't Ask Don't Tell " was a Clinton created term for his executive order.

Times also has front page story today and again no mention of Bill Clinton. Strange since at the time is was such a huge issue.

One can only think............

4. Think what?

Am I missing something? I seem to recall that the NYT was no big fan of Bill Clinton in office. Didn't it break just about every Clinton scandal, large and small?

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Clinton was severely punished -- her was elected to two terms. Now, back to the kids' table.

6. Boom_70

Here is today's front page story. Tell me what you think.

Does it seem incomplete on origins?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/us/politics/03military.html?ref=politics

7. Yes. But I guess I don't understand what nefarious motive that advances. Has the NYT ever really been a friend to the Clintons?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boom,

Yes, but Clinton's policy was a compromise to allow gays to serve in the military. It wasn't a measure designed to keep them out.

Clinton is not the bad guy in this, despite your efforts to paint him as such.

9. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

boom must be out of soccer jokes, so he's turning to his clinton material.

BTW, don't we already have a thread about this? Oh wait, someone needed their own.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Times endorsed Bill Clinton twice, and Hilary Clinton over Obama in the primary in New York State. It also endorsed her in her Senate runs.

My impression was always that the Times was always pretty friendly in its coverage of Bill Clinton. They didn't really break much with regard to his scandals. For example, wasn't it Newsweek that broke the whole Monica Lewinsky thing? I am sure the Times covered his scandals pretty well, but anyone with the resources covered it. It was news that was hard to ignore.

I don't know if there is anything insidious going on now. I doubt it. But the Times was not very hard in its coverage of Bill Clinton. My impression was that there was a bias favoring him, even if it was subtle. Let's not rewrite history, even if the premise of this thread is a reach (to me at least).

11. Actually this thread is probably a better fit for the journalism board.

12. I'm not rewriting history. I thought The Times was the publication pushing the Whitewater scandal hard, and maybe the Travelgate story, as well? If I'm wrong, it's because I'm honestly misremembering, not because I'm revising history.

Draft saved Draft deleted