1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: Duke's Jay Williams, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if he was insured.

Maybe someone explained to him what a PR hit he would take if he screwed Williams over... Not that that would usually be enough to stop Reinsdorf from doing it.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That hasn't happened.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'd bet you can't show a single example of anyone doing that, much less "some people."

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Devil is trying to deflect attention from his chortle-worthy list of people better than Williams.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't understand why he wouldn't relish the chance to lavish (I always love using "relish and lavish in the same sentence) praise on Williams.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Got my timeline crossed up. Magic preceded Thomas by two years.

7. 93Devil

Curious as to which players you think are "chortle-worthy?"

8. 93Devil

#a55hole

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Williams was a stud.

I recall the extreme butthurt from some particular ACC fan bases* over Williams during his time at Duke. It only looks more ridiculous now. Great player, class act, has done well for himself when his career was cut short.

B-b-b-b-but he got into a shout-off with Troy Bell once! Dick Vitale likes him too much! CLASSLESS THUG!!!! Right.

* Not UNC, actually. Then again, Williams was there when the Heels were terrible, so there's that.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Bolded mine, of course:

1) Stanford, from about 2000-2004, was the biggest fraudulent big-time program in college basketball. No other team during that time period lacked sack the way the Cardinal did. The Pac-10 gets no credit for their existence.

2) This was the period of time when Kentucky would look like garbage in the fall, the fans would call for Tubby to be fired, they'd recover against SEC tomato cans and parlay it into a good NCAA seed, and then they'd meekly exit in March. Lather, rinse, repeat. Every freaking year.

That said, USC played Duke closer than anyone else did before the Final Four, so congrats. I recall it being a close-fought game but that Duke was demonstratively more talented.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm a Heels fan and there's no doubt in my mind that Williams > Cleaver, and it ain't even close.

12. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

I also learned from reading the story that Williams is dating ESPN's Charissa Thompson. Good get.

Draft saved Draft deleted