1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: Duke's Jay Williams, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/sports/basketball/a-leg-rebuilt-a-life-renewed-for-jay-williams.html?_r=0

Really enjoyed this. Long, but it doesn't read that way. Thought about posting it on the journalism board, because I think Bishop did a really nice job getting a lot of great detail from Williams, like the fact that doctors told him his nerves were so shredded from the accident, he might never be able to get an erection again.

But, thought there might also be equal interest in just debating what kind of player he might have been. I think he would have been really good. He was struggling a bit as a rookie, but also started to figure shot out by the end of that season.

Interesting too that Williams told Bishop guys were smoking weed BEFORE games back on that Bulls team.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You couldn't wait until the Grammys were over to post this?

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Was a really good read.

I happen to enjoy Jay Williams' college exploits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAj6RsoK7KU

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I remember Williams as the best college PG of my lifetime. Even when he wasn't playing great, it always felt like he was one play away from going off and tearing the opposing team's heart out.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Watching Grant go off for ND last night at the end of regulation, I was thinking of Williams against Maryland.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

USC would have beaten them in the '01 Elite 8 if it wasn't for Williams. That was a great game. That was USC's best team in my lifetime, really on par with Duke, and should've won. Williams a goddamn killer that day.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Magic and Thomas would be mine, but I never thought of Williams that way. Not saying you are wrong, but I guess Kidd, Penny, Wall and Rose could be in the conservation with Williams.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No. Just, no.

And Jay Williams' college résumé runs circles around any other point guard since Isiah Thomas.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes. Just yes.

That season USC was very good, and on par with Duke, which was lucky to get to the Final 4 -- and that was because Williams had such a great game (Duhon, too).

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Actually, Blount would've been my very first guess:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2009/05/corie_blount_former_bull_is_go.html

29... repeat, 29 POUNDS of weed he was caught with.

Williams' claims become quite believable when you see who was on that Bulls roster.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Damn. I didn't even know about that.

Now he really is appropriately named.

I wonder if he was that team's Sam Hurd.

Draft saved Draft deleted