1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT discovers Iraq's WMDs ... apologies, anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 3, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You've got to dig to the 14th graf of today's front-page NYT story that ostensibly criticizes the U.S. for making information about Iraq's nuclear program -- you know, the one Fenian's buddy Joe Wilson said didn't exist -- to find this gem:

Among the dozens of documents in English were Iraqi reports written in the 1990s and in 2002 for United Nations inspectors in charge of making sure Iraq had abandoned its unconventional arms programs after the Persian Gulf war. Experts say that at the time, Mr. Hussein’s scientists were on the verge of building an atom bomb, as little as a year away.

At the least, it seems to me the "Bush lied" crowd owes Judith Miller an apology.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lol.

This ought to be good.

3. You'll never hear it from them -- a bunch of disingenuous, frothing-at-the-mouth morons.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Show me the centrifuge.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Experts say? Where exactly have the WMDs been found? On paper?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"On the verge of building a bomb" does not translate into "stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction".

But nice try.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Experts say that Canada is on the verge of invading Northern Michigan.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Experts say that Pamela Anderson is going to give me the BJ of my life.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think they found a browser on an Iraqi's computer that had the U.S. government's nukular bomb plans bookmarked.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Since when have Neo-Cons considered the Times to be a legit source?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's the whole article

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/world/middleeast/03cnd-documents.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5094&en=d6e60f288e881789&hp&ex=1162616400&partner=homepage

It's buried in the fourteenth graf because it's not the focus of the story nor does it prove anything about the existence of weapons of mass destruction.

A senior American intelligence official who deals routinely with atomic issues said the documents showed “where the Iraqis failed and how to get around the failures.” The documents, he added, could perhaps help Iran or other nations making a serious effort to develop nuclear arms, but probably not terrorists or poorly equipped states. The official, who requested anonymity because of his agency’s rules against public comment, called the papers “a road map that helps you get from point A to point B, but only if you already have a car.”

There wasn't then and there isn't now any proof that Iraq even had the car.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Except JR called you out on this one. Nice try.

Draft saved Draft deleted