1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT crowd-sourcing photos from the 1960 Democratic National Convention

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dreunc1542, Apr 19, 2012.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I just came across this: http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/help-us-identify-whos-in-these-photographs/.

I think it's a pretty interesting project, and wanted to see what others on the board think. Is this a good way to use crowd-sourcing?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sure, why not? I think these projects are fascinating. I bet they'll find every person, too.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree completely. Quite fascinating to see old pictures like this. How people dressed. What they were doing (lots of smoking), 50 years later. And it would be fascinating to be around in 2058 to see how people react to photos 50 years later from the 2008 election/conventions (especially the Democratic one since it was here -- with the 75,000-plus at the acceptance speech outside, the mini-riots) or other major events.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'd be more than happy to see more of person No. 2 in photo No. 14

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Person No. 7 in Photo No. 14 looked like he was enjoying himself.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

And this board can assist. In the comments section of the New York Times Person No. 9 in Photo 14 (the guy in a sportshirt and sunglasses) is identified as possibly George Lederer, who worked in the Rams PR department and as a sportswriter for the Long Beach Independent-Press. Can anyone confirm?

Draft saved Draft deleted