1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT confirms it: Print reporters being lured away by ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Dec 24, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Following on the heels of similar stories by the WSJ and Slate's Jack Shafer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/24/business/media/24sportswriters.html?ref=media&pagewanted=all

The thing I haven't read in any of the stories was why ESPN targeted these particular journos and if it indicates something bigger down the line. Because right now they are only competing with themselves.

And are we to expect any more big announcements in the next few weeks?

2. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Makes me wish I'd come along a bit before now so I could've made it to the top by now and had the experience and name(and well talent hopefully) to be snatched up like that.

150,000 a year sounds much nicer than my current 23,000.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think more than the money, the thing I envy about those lured by ESPN is that they have the resources and time to do the kind of writing and reporting you'd want to do. Larger pieces, pieces that have some weight to them, instead of a round-up of the local bowling league or daily twattle just to "fill the paper up."

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I majored in twattle at UGA.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. One huge one just got done. The son of a bitch swore me to secrecy until the contracts were signed. Man of honor that I am, I agreed.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

INteresting part of the article is the thought that trickle-up salary is happening newspapers' sports departments, while all other editorial sections are contracting like crazy.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's OK. you can tell them the good news about me.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're up to nine seconds? Mazel.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, ESPN probably has the resources for big-time news gathering, but will they get to it? Yahoo Sports is making much more impact in that area.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought you majored in twatwaffle.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yahoo Sports is serious about the gathering and reporting of news. ESPN seems to be more interested in having the best collection of names and faces on television.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

ESPN does a fine job of confirming what's already been reported, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted