1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Announces its Subscription Plan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 17, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When you loot, somebody loses something they had. When you make an unauthorized copy, nobody has lost anything but potential revenue.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Well, not entirely true. Potential revenue (and, presumably, income) drive present value (should be discounted future income). Therefore when you reduce future revenue, you are reducing the current value of that property in the person's hands.

For a more concrete example, take something like a patent. If Company X violated the patent on the iPad and made a clone called the MyPad, by your words, Apple would have lost nothing "but potential revenue". Surely, though, you can see how this impacts the current value of the patent (and why there would be a lawsuit).

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

good grief, stealing is stealing

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Before it's read, a news article is no different than a tube of tooth paste sitting on a shelf waiting to be purchased. It's inventory.

5. RickStain

So if the store has 10 tubes of toothpaste and I take one, how many tubes do they have?

If the NYtimes.com has a story and I copy it into my web browser, how many stories do they have?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Boom_70

Does not matter. Either way it's still lost revenue.

8. RickStain

Okay, that works too. It destroys value and deprives them of potential revenue.

9. RickStain

Lost revenue is bad. It's not the same as lost product.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If clearing cookies is a crime, the Times should sue Microsoft, Google, Apple, Mozilla and Opera for having the option in a browser. I don't know how people are employed in the news industry with a lack of understanding on law.

11. Boom_70

Ok - let's look at it another way. Would you go to church and not leave a donation on the collection plate?

12. RickStain

Yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted