1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Announces its Subscription Plan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 17, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Canadians won't complain, they'll just apologize for not getting it to work right.

And I think what the Times is doing, will work. Business-types will be able to do some expense accounting on online subs and some people will pay to read it.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No, they will pay a thousand a month for it and then lord it over us that their "free" NYT is much better than ours.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

According to "Ebizmedia" (whoever they are), the Times gets an average of 38 million unique monthly vistors. If only five percent of those go for the online subscription plan, that's still a nice piece of change.

http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/news-websites

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So what cut of steak did you shoplift for last night's dinner?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No they will proclaim their benevolence and look down their nose at us for wanting something free.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The Onion chimes in: http://www.theonion.com/articles/nytimescoms-plan-to-charge-people-money-for-consum,19847/

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

About covers it:

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Then they should not have given it away in the first place.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The New York Times can shut off free access from Google. Your comparison doesn't make sense.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I just got a pop up telling me I have 4 free articles left for the month. I'm probably going to have to break down and subscribe.

Anyone done it yet? What's the best deal? I access it on my laptop & iPhone. I don't have an iPad yet, but might get one once the iPad 2 is actually available.

I also wonder about the cost. Their distribution costs are basically fixed, so it's strictly about revenue and what price point will bring in the most.

Does anyone think a lower price would bring in enough additional subscribers to result in more overall revenue?

11. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Subscribe to the print edition. It's cheaper than paying for digital access to the site, iPhone app and iPad app -- and you get all that anyway with a print subscription.

This pricing plan was freaking brilliant, I tell ya'.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hurry up and get this experiment over with so they can start figuring out real solutions.

Over/Under on this one: 1 year.

Draft saved Draft deleted