1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYPost runs pic of teen shooting victim motionless in the street

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, Nov 17, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've started with you. The other creeps will come out of the woodwork soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just another stealth attack from a particular wing of the board which shall not be named anymore. No further commentary.

3. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie New Member

[​IMG]

I concur. No blood, the girl wasn't dead, she didn't die later, it's fine to run, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That is a great picture that I have trouble looking at.

IIRC, that little girl did die.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

Interesting topic.

I didn't think The Post's photo had much news value. It didn't really tell me anything. And if I didn't read the story, it would have been even more ambiguous. (Unlike the fireman w/baby shot -- which, I thought, spoke volumes)

Just my opinion.

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

I agree that shots like that can't be salacious or gratuitous, but that a somber but graphic photograph can add tremendous power.

We're a society that trots out crap like Saw IX but can't handle an actual drop of blood when it comes to an actual news item.

7. partain

partain Member

I don't have a problem with a photographer doing his/her job and coming back with a gripping photo. It might be difficult to look at, but I feel like sometimes we need to see these things to make us realize that this isn't all some crappy horror movie. This is life and when stupid people do stupid things, sometimes innocent people get hurt. Hopefully these photos make people think about their actions before someone gets hurt.

Also, does anyone remember the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette running a victim photo about 15 years ago (maybe more)? I think the victim was covered by a sheet or something, but a leg or an arm wasn't completely covered and was visible. I think it caused quite an uproar at the time.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance here, but did that pic of the firefighter above run in newspapers? I stumbled on this thread (I am not a journalist) and it moved me to tears at my desk. I think that pic tells a story without being gratuitous.

9. Mira

Mira Member

As a reader, I have always hated photos that depict impending death. One photo that creeped me out most was a man in a circus "ring" with an elephant ... who died after being crushed by the elephant.

As far as sports photos go, I'll never forget the image of Greg Moore being wheeled into an ambulance in 1999 with a tracheotomy tube lodged in his neck/throat. Remember the same photo after Jason Priestley crashed. Are readers truly interested in seeing those morbid images? Greg died and Jason lived, but I wouldn't want to see those shots.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Hell yes, about every one in the United States after the Oklahoma City bombing.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As a father of a 21-month-old girl, I cannot get past the socks.

I put socks on my daughter all the time. You never think about them never coming off.

I wish we could kill that fucker again.

12. ringer

ringer Active Member

Yes. It won a Pulitzer Prize. So your thoughts were shared by many.

Draft saved Draft deleted