1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYPD Twarts Al Qaeda Bomb Plot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/21/nyregion/jose-pimentel-is-charged-in-new-york-city-bomb-plot.html?_r=1&hp

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Twarts?

Also, I have a hard time believing most of these so-called plots any more. This is hardly an al-Qaeda plot. This is a guy who watched some videos and decided to start trying to make pipe bombs. He has no contacts with anything even resembling an al-Qaeda terrorists. I won't be surprised to see that this is a "plot" hatched and encouraged by an undercover cop.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't have set the over/under at one post, but that response was predictable.

4. Boom_70

And we have a winner. Really put this up as a contest to see who first poster would be to discount the plot.

I tend to agree. Seems flimsy. My thought is that this is about police/ mayor taking control of news to offset their poor performance in OWS events.

5. YankeeFan

And, btw, wasn't that the point of Anwar al-Awlaki's propaganda?

You don't need to "have contacts" with al-Qaeda in order to carry out your own personal Jihad.

Major Hasan, traded a couple of emails with al-Awlaki, but you could hardly call him an al-Qaeda member. Doesn't change the fact that he killed 13 people and wounded 32 more.

Pimentel/Muhammad Yusuf was a reader of Inspire. the glossy English language internet magazine put out by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. (It's publisher was killed in the same drone attack that killed Al-Awlaki.) Inspire gave instructions on how to build bombs.

And, since all the materials for building a pipe bomb can be picked up at Home Depot and other local stores, I don't think we should discount this type of threat.

The guy had all of the materials. He had identified targets, and he was in final assembly.

6. YankeeFan

Sounds like a nice guy:

7. Boom_70

Likely that the ex dropped a dime on him.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He was associated with al-Qaeda? Or was he just a deranged guy who got caught up in the jihad talk and decided to begin plotting homemade bomb attacks?

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not saying the guy wasn't a bad dude. Just saying that there's a long way between "bad dude" and "hold a breathless press conference to announce that you're winning the war on terror."

That's what this is about: Ensuring that the NYPD continues to be funded like some sort of paramilitary operation. If that means treating some yahoo who was probably more likely to blow his own nuts off than as much as take the flag off a single mailbox like the second coming of Osama, so be it.

10. YankeeFan

Inspired by Al-Qaeda. Is that not good enough?

Who cares if he's not the second coming of bin Laden?

It really doesn't take that much skill to blow shit (and people) up. Should we only arrest people once they've succeeded?

And, yeah, Mayors/Police Commissioners/DA like to hold press conferences when they make arrests like this. It's good for business, and it keeps the public aware of what's going on.

You need the public's assistance in identifying guys like this.

Though, this guy didn't appear very shy about his beliefs. He had his own website, and had apparently been under surveillance since 2009.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lone nut.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If he was under surveillance since 2009, then he has not been a threat since 2009. This is manufactured theater. Nothing more.

Draft saved Draft deleted