1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYPD turning its back on DeBlasio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm glad the demonstrators shut down the Brooklyn Bridge and I'm glad New York has a mayor who takes people's right to demonstrate seriously and actually listens to them. I'm also glad he's pushing for more affordable housing and that legislation was passed to expand paid sick leave and raise the living wage. He's been an eloquent spokesman for the people who previously didn't have a voice in New York.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In an orderly city, you need a permit to demonstrate. Great, if you want to practice civil disobedience -- I admire you. But try to shut down the Brooklyn Bridge and you should expect to be in cuffs and booking. That is the price of your civil disobedience. And the mayor of New York should not be ordering the cops to stand aside and NOT keep order. For all kinds of reasons. In NY, that leads to tensions, which inevitably leads to strife that boils over. Also, when the GWB thing happened under Chris Christie, everyone made a big deal about the ambulance that couldn't get through. That was why it was so terrible. Is this different when the mayor allows the Brooklyn Bridge to be shut down by a mob with his approval?

Your "affordable housing" skews the market even more. It subsidizes people who aren't poor anyhow, and at the expense of developers who have to jack the prices even more on the 99 percent of the apartments they aren't blackmailed over, driving up prices for everyone except the token group that benefit from the mayor's largesse (but not with his own money!). And driving up the cost for employees is a stupid thing to do in a city that prior to the 1990s was struggling to attract and retain those businesses and was teetering on the edge of financial disaster again. He's trying to undo the one thing the city has gotten right to the past two decades.

He's a spokesman alright. But not particularly eloquent. He's a bore. And as much as you love him, you're mostly alone on this. His latest approvals are pitiful and his disapprovals are pretty high. Not that that is what makes him a putz. It's the fact that he can't shoot straight as mayor.

old_tony and Boom_70 like this.
  3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This is a clash of the titans I look forward to checking in on. Not DeBlasio and the cops, but Cran and Ragu. Anyhoo, having cop in-laws, I know that there's definitely a feeling of infallibility on the force. But these things run in cycles. Through the 50s and early 1960s, cops were golden, then over the next 15 years became pigs and a bunch of malfeasors that various Serpicos uncovered.

Boom_70 likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It shouldn't be all or nothing with the cops. There are way too many of those malfeasors (I have never used that word. Is it a word, cause I kind of like it?) still around. And the cops run a little too unchecked by a sheep population that doesn't question enough and assert their basic rights. We shouldn't be living for the cops. They should be mostly invisible, even in a place like NYC and we should be free to go about our business.

That doesn't mean all, or most, cops are bad guys. But that doesn't matter to me. When I see one in uniform, he or she is not my friend. I automatically don't trust them -- I have been given way too many reasons not to.

That is honestly my attitude toward the cops. It would also be absolutely inappropriate for me to express it that way if I chose to be the mayor. And if I lit that fire by grandstanding and trying to create division within the city, the inevitable fallout would be on me.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What's the mayor got against carriages and horses? Did he fuck Mr. Ed and is afraid he will talk?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Only if Wilbur is doing the interview for the Post.

7. Dietl won me over with his hard-hitting investigation of Subway.

8. cortez

cortez Member

I wonder what the NY Post reaction would be if NYC school teachers came to school but refused to teach because they were mad at the mayor

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree ! Great debate with two titans of the board that bring a NY perspective and offer a well rounded long term view of the circumstances.
    I would like to wade in but in the interest of board civility, harmony and more importantly the ban on political discussion I shall refrain.

Good to see you back Dools !

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many don't teach for other reasons? Like incompetence. LOL.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There were 331 murders in New York City in 2013.

Why aren't more officers losing their jobs!!!!????ELEVENTY!!11

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My favorite part of this might be that the left has finally found some rhetoric from a labor leader that makes them uncomfortable:

Here's the Chicago teacher's union chief on Rahm Emanuel

Did any lefties write op-eds condemning that rhetoric? Did any other unions criticize her statement?

It's all too funny. The lengths the left will go to protect this failure of a mayor know no bounds.

The Times is tripping over itself in pumping out editorials criticizing the cops. I've never seen anything like it.

Standing silently with your back to a jumbotron is apparently the one form of dissent the left will not accept.

Draft saved Draft deleted