1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYPD Shoots Father of Two ( With Video)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2014/12/09/cops-shoot-stabbing-suspect-inside-synagogue/

No word yet it Officer Donahue will be immediately arrested or if there will
    be a Grand Jury. Based on Donahue's crude language it's likely that
    he had a GED degree.

Video makes it clear that cops had not need to shoot him. He was only
    carrying a knife and looked like he was ready to put it down and surrender.

2. Boom_70

Sorry I meant to add warning that video was disturbing and graphic

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Awful cinematographer. Stand in one spot, get cop and actor in the shot, and wait for the action.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He only wanted to pray for Marc Trestman and all the other churches were closed at 1 a.m.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I usually think "suicide by cop" is BS but this has to be the clearest case ever.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Impressed by the guy who, despite the fact that this person was intruding on his place of worship, continued to plead with the police not to shoot.

The first cop seemed to take every step not to shoot the guy, but without the video there might be a significant dispute over this shooting, just like the others.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The cop who fired the shot was named Roberto Pagan. And it didn't look like Peters was surrendering. He had put the knife down and then grabbed it again and started to threaten them.

The video doesn't make anything all that clear, but there were plenty of witnesses, and the story emerged almost immediately. Peters (the guy shot dead) was waving the knife and Donahue had his gun out. Peters shouted, “You gonna shoot me?,” and that is when the Hassids were yelling, “Don’t shoot.” and urging Peters to put the knife down.

Peters then repeated, “You gonna shoot me?,” to which the officer responded, “If you don’t drop the knife I will.”

The cops kept yelling at him, and Peters put the knife down on a table, at which point Donahue put his gun away.

Just as it looked like it was defused, though, Peters grabbed the knife again, which is when you heard, "Stay the fuck away from the knife."

That is when it gets murky. Peters waving the knife and there were a bunch of cops. You hear the gunshot after whoever was shooting the video turned away.

8. Boom_70

The ending was some artful cinema-photography. You hear the gun shot and screen goes dark.

Draft saved Draft deleted