1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYPD Blue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Sep 19, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

J.D. LaRue from "Hill Street Blues" came close, though he had a black partner.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just finished watching Episode 5 -- the one where Kelly brings down a terrible cop and saves young James Martinez from having to do it and become known as a snitch who rats out cops.

Interesting to see Luis Guzman playing Martinez's father considering that in real life they're not even 5 1/2 years apart. Also interesting to see Mitchell Ryan (one of the villains -- The General -- in the first Lethal Weapon movie) as the crooked cop. A far cry from his character as Greg's father on Dharma & Greg.

3. old_tony

Just caught Episode 6 and saw some very familiar faces.

Kelly's priest friend is played by Dean Norris, now famous for being Hank on Breaking bad. Another one of their friends from their pickup basketball games was played by Tobin Bell, who played one of the paid hitmen for Bendini, Lambert & Locke in The Firm. And, finally, James Pickens Jr., who had a lengthy run on Grey's Anatomy.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Tobin Bell would be Jigsaw.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

To me, Tobin Bell will always be the guy from Bleeker Bob's record store on Seinfeld.

6. old_tony

Good call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o8yjjoFocs

7. Joe Williams

Looking at these episodes now, I have two reax: Dennis Franz was spectacular, and I wish we'd had several more seasons to see Caruso's Kelly character.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Also, I loved Charlotte Ross.

Edit: the early 2000's Charlotte Ross. Today she looks like hell, gone all Nikki Cox and stuff.

9. old_tony

As much as I enjoyed Smits and Schroder and Gosselar, Caruso really was the heart and soul of the first season. You're right that Franz was spectacular, but Caruso really is the star of the first season. And when he left after Season 1, there were no storylines left for Sherry Stringfield or Amy Brenneman. I really missed them, too.

10. Joe Williams

I remember being bummed that an old favorite from "The Rockford Files," Joe Santos (Lt. Dennis Becker) got offed so early in NYPD Blue's first season. Watchable actor.

11. old_tony

Anna Gunn sighting in the 18th episode of Season 1.

Edit: Also Leland Orser.

12. old_tony

Into Season 2 now and the second episode of Bobby Simone. Jimmy Smits really was great in this show. Some cool bonding between Bobby and Andy at the end of Simone's first episode.

By the way, as much as I love Amy Brenneman, John Kelly screwed up picking Licalsi over Robin Wirkus.

Draft saved Draft deleted