1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYPD Blue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Sep 19, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Wish Friends could say the same.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I really liked Casruso on the show, found him very believable. Show lost me with everything they put Sipowicz through.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Yes! Always thought Caruso seemed like a giant pussy. Another great Sipowicz scene was the where the idiot cop (Eddie?) took over the squad and brought his parrot into the precinct. So Andy left a cassette tape going in the office over night and when Eddie came in the next morning the parrot kept saying "Douche bag. Douche bag. Douche bag."

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think Smits did a great job, but I really don't get the hatred for Caruso in his role. It ended up being Sipowicz's show, but in Season 1 it truly was John Kelly's show, and it was great television. It shouldn't be that hard to separate Caruso being an asshole to everyone on the show and how great the show still was.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Did anyone have a better run of TV Dramas than Jimmy Smits? Major, starring roles for at least significant parts of L.A. Law, NYPD Blue & the West Wing.

6. Mira

Mira Member

I really liked NYPD Blue, and agree with Old Tony that there aren't many cop shows that can touch its all-around excellence. One I thought came close is Southland. The acting was outstanding.

7. Mira

Mira Member

Just started watching the last season of Sons of Anarchy, and Jimmy Smits is in the show. He's a tremendous actor.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Then he moved on to the criminally underrated and canceled too quickly "Cane," and as noted, SOA. Smits is a beast.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Seeing the show again is a reminder of how terrific Dennis Franz was.

Had forgotten about Esai Morales. He was solid.

Would have been interesting had Caruso stuck around. A whole plotline could have focused on him getting his ass kicked by a perp or perps. Writers probably would have had fun with that.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Detective John Kelly probably would have done the ass-kicking of any suspects. His interpretation of the Constitution, and how it applies to police behavior toward those suspected of criminal behavior, to the newby Martinez in an episode during the first year was pretty enlightening.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Next to Cosmo Kramer, Andy Sipowicz is my favourite TV character ever. And I don't know the credit for this belongs with Dennis Franz or the show's writers, but how many likeable racist, homophobic, alcoholic cop characters have there been?

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Smits also had a great one-season run on Dexter.

Draft saved Draft deleted