1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN piece on legendary boys hoops coach facing a sex abuse lawsuit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Jan 11, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

When I saw the subject line I thought, "I wonder if this could be about Bob Oliva at Christ the King." Not knowing anything about the situation, I only had that thought because I met him (and a couple of his teams) when I covered Christ the King's participation in a couple of holiday tournaments at my first paper. He was one of the few people I knew who I thought could fit the description of the subject line.

Wow. Good read. Disappointing story if true.

I remember watching "Goodfellas" in a hotel suite with the coaches, Father John Savage and a few others in their travel party and hearing them talk about NY, about neighborhoods in the film, about characters that reminded them of people they knew, etc.

We provided complimentary newspapers for the hotel where they stayed, and I left to get them after watching the movie and said, "I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers" a la Jimmy Two Times. Got a little chuckle out of them.

Thanks for the link. A strong read, for sure.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If the guy's only concern is to "keep a predator away from kids" and the coach has resigned -- why is he still seeking $750,000?

I have no way of knowing the truth but that fact makes me think dude is greedy and looking for a pay day.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Strong start. I want to see how they develop this from here.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, that part seemed strange to me as well.

Good story, though.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why? What kind of vibe did you get from him?

I used to take my younger brother to see CTK and other top CHSAA teams play back in the day. CTK always had good teams, but I know nothing about Oliva personally.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think the one guy made a very salient point. If you're Oliva and you're innocent, why would "it's past the statute of limitations" be the first thing out of your mouth?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That jumped out at me as well, shotty.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Were you were thinking there were four more parts? I got confused about that, too. I'm pretty sure except for updates if legal things happen, this is the story. The "five" was pages, not parts. Unless I'm missing something.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ah, page 1 of 5. I thought it said part. Thanks, SF.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The NYDN has done a good job detailing the resignation and the reason why.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/01/04/2009-01-04_bob_oliva_to_resign_at_christ_the_king.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/01/05/2009-01-05_christ_the_king_mulls_how_to_deal_with_f.html

I cannot image that the News wouldn't follow up on the story.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

As we've said before, this will remain the gold standard on this subject.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/local/coaches/

Draft saved Draft deleted