1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN drops Manning bombshell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'm getting the reaction here. Yes, the writer appears to have agenda (stemming from the reaction to Cam Newton), and yes, it's poorly written. Take out those two factors.

There are a lot of people who didn't know about this story at the start of the day (judging by the fact that it came up on my Twitter feed 12 times before 10 a.m.), and those who were aware didn't know the new information provided. So why should it be dismissed? Because it's 20 years old? It would have been nice to see the writer attempt to contact the Manning family or the accuser (even though neither would say anything) in an attempt to get both sides of the story. To me, a future Hall of Famer and two-time Super Bowl champion laying his nuts on a trainer, then having his powerful father cover it up and besmirch the accuser's reputation is a story, no matter how long ago it happened. Call me crazy.

As much as it's being dismissed here, I don't feel others feel the same. This could have legs.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But the moon landing was real.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

How do you know this? LOL

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No. King is literally so inartful and bad at analogies that he just threw that in there as if to say Manning's reputation was so ironclad that it was like the moon landing being real, and turning out not to be...I think.

The writing's for shit in that graf. I'm stunned it's in there. It reflects well on no one, least of all King.

Lugnuts likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We should re-report every big story every few years. It's been a while since the JFK assassination was fresh. Break it in the early edition. Above the fold.

Stoney likes this.
  6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You're being your usual obtuse self. If there was new information about a confirmed second shooter in the assassination of JFK, I'm fairly certain it would be reported. Probably above the fold. Google Archie Manning cover up. See what comes up. It appears there are several people who feel this story is important enough to "re-report."

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Correct. And if you were to read something that showed it was faked, you would be shocked -- much the way Shaun King was shocked to learn Manning is not a saint.

Again, not well written.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

By all means, boil this "new information" down for us.

Because the author of the story sure didn't do it.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The only thing new here is King's apoplexy. But, in our personality-driven culture, King's awareness of it is new. I couldn't personally give a shit, but a lot of people do.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So you're saying you knew the following:

That Peyton Manning's teammate Saxon refused his story and said "Coming clean is the right thing to do."?
    That under oath, Archie Manning said the accuser was going into the dorms to have sex with black athletes?
    That 2 members of the athletic department asked the accuser if she would put the blame on a black athlete?

If you knew all of this, then I apologize. I highly doubt that's the case, though.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I see.

So his premise is:

Pretend the moon landing was fake.

Ok. I'll pretend the entire moon landing was staged, that NASA is a sham, and B.o.B. is a fucking genius. That's not too much of a leap.

Now pretend you thought the moon landing was a real event in American history-- one of the proudest moments this country has ever known.

Now pretend you just got documents detailing exactly how the moon landing was faked.

You'd be bummed. I get it !!!!!

Here's my analogy:

Imagine if you found out that Brett Favre sent somebody a dick pic.

Yeah.... ? And .... ?

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

And that explains it jn nutshell. King's audience is college kids and recent grads who think nothing happened before them. This is HUGE to them. And tomorrow they will learn something new and move on.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted