1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN drops Manning bombshell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Feb 13, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agree with all of this, but didn't he indicate that there was more to come?

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Too bad nobody put forth the effort to get those court documents back then. Now, I can't get worked up about it.

What a horribly written story though. Geez.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

King essentially wrote the same story the day after the super bowl in defending newton. Its hook was manning once walked off the field at the super bowl.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I must have missed that part during the digression about posting pics of Cam Newton on his Facebook page.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but we'll see. And I love that he literally moved his computer so no one could see.

Titled "Facts of the Case," and submitted to the court by the plaintiff's lawyers, the document, which warrants many more takes and reflections than what I will offer today

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Manning sure has all the luck of getting Al-Jazeera and a Black Lives Matter activist writing the most damning things about him. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Ari Fleisher sweated the WP goon squad story and sent King the Tennessee lawsuit materials.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Perhaps the most troubling thing, when you get down to it, is the reason why it's being written so quickly and with such breathlessness:

That it's seemingly in response to criticism about Cam Newton. I write "seemingly" but feel pretty confident, given that Newton occupies the top part of the story.

Manning did not criticize Newton. Newton did not criticize Manning. They have no problem with each other.

Nevertheless, this feels like King's "winning argument" in this discussion of what kind of person Cam Newton is. The Manning story appears to be a juxtaposition against what Cam Newton isn't. And Cam Newton not only had nothing to do with this, I can't imagine that he'd appreciate being any part of a story about this.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Jason Whitlock's thoughts, with which I agree:

Because Cam has been criticized as a poor sport, left-wing race-bait media/tweeters are now retelling Peyton Manning’s story of inappropriate behavior at the University of Tennessee 20 years ago. The untrained-journalist-turned-columnist at the New York Daily News, Shaun King, who breathed new life into the Manning story argued that the media ignored the Manning court documents years ago because the media protected Manning. Not true. Years ago the media adhered to standards of fairness. We tried to recognize the things we could not know. We recognized that some things stated in a court document could be misleading or untrue. You know, just like police reports mislead, so do court documents.

That is not written to excuse what appears to be poor behavior by Manning as a college student. It’s written to state that King’s salacious, one-sided, overwritten story did not reveal some buried truth. This Manning story has been told multiple times. King just timed and framed his telling in the most sensational way possible and when Newton defenders most desperately wanted a white QB to be villainized.

It won’t be long until right-wing race-bait media retell Kobe Bryant’s story or Jameis Winston’s. It’s a never-ending, tit-for-tat battle between black and white race baiters to prove one race is worse than the other.

cyclingwriter2, Batman and Stoney like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In reading all this (and I couldn't make it deep into the story since not only did King
    seem to make it all about himself, I knew y'all would boil it down), I'm reminded of a call I got a couple of months into my first job, from a parent wondering if I could do an article about how good the local team really was since the Big Town Bugle had a story that put the team in a negative light. Its like, so Cam stiffed the media after the game, Manning isn't a saint either.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

School me on this passage, guys.

Help me understand this:

For me, it was like reading proof that the first Apollo moon landing was really a fictional tale filmed in a Hollywood studio designed to dupe us all. That flag, planted in the moon, seemingly blowing in the wind, was a ruse after all. Maybe B.o.B. was right on this one fact.

So he says reading the documents that Manning assaulted this woman was like reading that the moon landing was fake.

But the moon landing was not fake.

So is he saying the documents have no merit ?

Is he equating Naughright to B.o.B. in this analogy ?

What am I missing guys ????

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He's saying he always believed Peyton Manning was a good guy, much like he believed in the moon landing.

Learning Peyton Manning is a douche is like learning the moon landing was fake.

He's not a very good writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted