1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN cover on San Bernadino

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The cover IS agenda-driven. There's really no denying it. That's why it's technically not "journalism."

The agenda is to try to shame people into gun control. As such, who else would you call out but the presidential candidates of a party that doesn't support gun control?

As activism, it's pretty effective. As "journalism," not so much.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm not religious and I find it a challenge to convey condolences to friends/acquaintances who suffer losses like this. The challenge is to NOT say/write "my thoughts and prayers ...." (You can see it dozens of times on Facebook for every pet death, let alone family members). That is a mindless comment, at or near the top of the cliche list.
    So, although I really don't like the idea of the NYDN cover, that aspect of ridiculing mindless politicians is pretty damn good.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, yes. But as already noted, it cheapens the point.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

In a couple of ways, I agree with the NYDN cover. For one, as has been discussed here previously, posting on Twitter and/or creating a hashtag after a tragedy is pretty superficial.
    Second, God isn't fixing this? Well, more and more we as a country are telling God we don't need Him or those ways are just out of style/too old fashioned. More and more crap like this is happening. I'd say there is a pretty strong correlation. JMO

spikechiquet likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

C'mon man, you know "TWITTER" would be too long to fit. That capital W is especially brutal.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, things would be just fine if the gays stopped wanting to be married.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's not the road I would taken, but if you want to go down this path, don't stop here; stay on your elected officials and plaster their mugs on the front page every time they cast a vote that goes against what's right and decent.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think it would be effective if it didn't appear to blatantly single out one group and also if it didn't attack religious Americans. Prayers and action aren't mutually exclusive.

The point made about saying TWITTER won't fix this is also excellent.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Indeed, once the NYP folks heard the Muslim sounding name, they changed the cover to reflect that.

I also thought that was quite interesting.

11. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I've heard both sides -- why the NYDN should be "applauded" and why they should be "ashamed." I'm 50/50 on it. Definitely a brave headline.

BrendaStarr likes this.
  12. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Loved the cover and the guts behind the decision to frame it that way. The argument wasn't perfectly executed (as many have pointed out), but what argument is?

Is it "journalism"? I won't debate that, but I will say that newspapers have lost relevance compared with the days when they weren't afraid to outrage people. Outraging people shouldn't be the No. 1 mission, but there are times when the public (and politicians) needs to be moved to outrage.

BrendaStarr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted