1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC transit question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chained2thedesk, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NYC isn't a problem and easy to use, even for a rube from the South like me.

Philadelphia's subway, however, was disgustingly dirty. We counted three dead rats in the hallways leading down to the trains. At least in NYC and DC, the rats are still alive.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I have NEVER had a problem. Spend 5 minutes looking at a map, read the signs, and you are golden.

RB

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, since we have this going already...

I'm trying to plan a trip to NYC for July 4th. I have a free place to stay but I don't know what my best option is for getting there. Flights are expensive and I don't feel like driving 15 hours.

I'm coming from Michigan so I don't think the megabus has any routes.

Any suggestions?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

NYC subway is great and inexpensive. We took a cab from LaGuardia to/from the hotel, but used the subway exclusively the rest of our trip. It was never anything but convenient. Of course, we had an NYU grad with us who knew the town very well.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've been using the new msn search engine BING... and it is really helpful. I suggest checking it out if you may be traveling this summer.

6. Thanks for all the help and advice, everyone.

I've studied the subway system map and feel like we're good to go.

I really appreciate all the replies my request.

Thanks again to all.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Check out Amtrak. I don't know how much time you have to spend on the actual travel, but tickets are usually relatively cheap.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My ONLY knock on the system is that waiting for a train can be a brutally-hot experience in high summer.

If your physical presentation is paramount at the end of a trip, a cab can well be
    a serious consideration, despite the price.

Draft saved Draft deleted