1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC transit question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chained2thedesk, Jun 20, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've stayed at the JFK Marriott before and remember the Howard Beach subway stop being real close by.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The Air Train stops at Howard Beach and takes you (eventually) back into Manhattan.

PS if I'm not mistaken that is Duke Ellington's famous "A" Train.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Weekdays, the subway is unquestionably the fastest mode of transportation in Midtown or downtown. Sometimes traffic can make walking faster than a bus or cab. Late nights, cabs are much faster because public transportation doesn't run as often.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

It fucking sucks.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Outstanding.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

WFW.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Surprisingly I had never done this until a few months ago. ... but the A train (which is really convenient to where I live) goes out to Kennedy and it is a pretty quick trip. When you get there, there is a shuttle train that gets you to the terminals. It's an easy transfer from one to the other and it's a great deal. If I remember correctly, it is $2 for the subway and another $5 for the airport shuttle, which is a lot less expensive than a cab. And no traffic worries.

As for the NYC subway system. ... I live on it. You are perfectly safe if you stay in the places a tourist is going to go. And you are honestly safe anywhere else, too. I've just found that it is hard for people who don't ride it a lot to figure it out, but don't be bashful and ask people questions. They will be more helpful than you would believe.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Subway is best way to get around NYC. Suggest that you get a subway map and study it a bit prior to riding. It then won't be as daunting as it first looks.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

To echo the others, the NYC Subway is safe. I've never felt unsafe on it traveling from Penn Station to the Upper West side or from Penn Station up to Yankee Stadium.
    Just study the subway map beforehand so you'll know which train you want and what station to get off at you'll be fine.

10. There's a *.pdf of the NY subway system here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

print it out and study it and you'll be good to go.

There are signs throughout the stations telling you where to go to transfer and NY'ers are notoriously helpful.

If you're not sure, just ask somebody, "Is this the train to Lincoln Center" or whatever and they'll help ya out.

Have a great trip

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

THIS is a clean and beautiful subway system.

[​IMG]

And it's not New York City. ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've taken both the LIRR and the A train to and from JFK and they work great.

As to the subway, it can be a little crowded in the morning rush, but traveling around Manhattan is actually pretty easy. And it is very safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted