1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC transit question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chained2thedesk, Jun 20, 2009.

1. I'm taking the family to New York City for a few days this week and wondered about the transit system.

We've used Boston's T, the Metro in Washington D.C., the TTC in Toronto and the Metro in Montreal and never once felt unsafe.

What is everyone else's opinion of using public transit in NYC? Since we're heading down there via Amtrak, we can either hoof it, take the subway to shell out big bucks for cabs, which I would prefer not to do.

I always expect the worst.

Is my gut feeling correct, or will I be pleasantly surprised?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't used it extensively but I've never felt unsafe. I never know quite what I'm doing but I always manage to end up close to the right place.

3. KP

KP Active Member

I've used it a bit as well and never felt unsafe. (Taken it from Midtown up to Yankee Stadium more than a couple other times.)

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The subway is a lot safer than it was about 20 years ago. I've taken it, and been fine.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The subway in NYC is surprisingly easy to figure out once you ride once or twice and study the map for a few minutes.

I've only felt unsafe a few times, but that was at 4 a.m. after a couple beers.*

Couple = couple dozen.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You'll be fine. Depending on how much you'll be using the system, looking into buying the unlimited use Metrocard.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of questions - if I fly into Kennedy, can I take that train/bus out of there to the subway or do I have to ride the Long Island train into town?

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The NYC Subway is a bit hectic in terms of the crowds but it's actually fairly easy to navigate and a good way to get around. Bring a subway map with you just to make sure you know what you're doing and as long as you're not by yourself at 4 a.m. on a weekend, you should be fine.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

It's safe, it's clean, it mostly runs on time, it's air-conditioned and, sometimes, you can even understand what the conductor is saying. If you're lost, ask someone for help. NYers are usually happy to help; tourists are less happy, probably because they believe they're being pulled into some scam.

I take the subway from Manhattan to Harlem to Queens and back again, several times a week, and often at odd-hours. I find if you smile at other riders, they'll smile back. There is absolutely no reason not to use the subway as a mode of transportation in NYC.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Backing up what everyone has said here. A group of my close friends and my sister live near each other in Harlem. I've been in town 6-7 times during the past year and ridden the subway at all hours throughout the city and never had an issue. Same goes for the people I know who live there.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Subway is clean and easy to navigate once you learn the system. A complete 180 from the 70s and the Death Wish/ original Pelham 123 days.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I lived there in 1984 and had no problem and have been back numerous times since with it being better and better with each trip. Last time was 2007 and it was amazingly clean and safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted