1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC stores forced to show graphic anti-smoking ads

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 26, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why would I care how much it costs? Smokers don't like it? Do yourself and everybody else a favor and quit.

Killick, be realistic. They aren't going to be able to get rid of it, so this "pansy-assing" is the next-best alternative.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just tobacco? Nicotine occurs naturally in tobacco, which generates the chemical as a defense against some insect pests and other plant-eaters (tobacco plants are part of the genus Nicotiana). "Tar" is the yellowish residue left over from burning tobacco. So "just a tobacco cigarette" automatically contains both nicotine.

I've suggested a non-nicotine cigarette here before but gotten no traction.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

American Spirits are marketed as additive free cigarettes.

They're more expensive than the major brands.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think that's what kleeda smokes. I bummed one last week when I was SUPER stressed at work. It was so much smoother than the crap I've bummed when drunk at bars. I'm glad they're more expensive, because they might make me want to smoke. I can't smoke the others sober because they taste like crap.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

During my only-smoking-while-drinking phase I would buy a pack of those on the way to the bar, smoke a few and then give the rest away at closing time.

They are much less harsh on your throat, especially if you aren't a regular smoker. I am sure they aren't any healthier, but I felt better the next morning.

They burn much slower than major-brand cigarettes, too. Good in the summer, bad in the winter.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They used to run ads in magazines advertising a free carton by mail. Bunch of my friends were smokers, so they jumped at this like a shark to chum.

Not knowing, of course, that such giveaways were illegal in Georgia. They instead received a lovely American Spirit metal sign. To the best of my recollection, none of them tried to smoke it.

Draft saved Draft deleted