1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC stores forced to show graphic anti-smoking ads

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 26, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/smoking-cessation/graphic-cigarette-warning-labels?icid=main|aim|dl3|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2Fcondition-center%2Fsmoking-cessation%2Fgraphic-cigarette-warning-labels

The NYC Department of Health passed a measure forcing all stores that carry cigarettes to make room for posters with a blackened lung or similarly nasty anti-smoking images.

The ads are unpleasant to look at, but so are people dying of lung cancer. I've got no problem with this, but others might. I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the politics board. Mods please move it if you feel it is necessary.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Since someone has to do it ... uh, paging Zagoshe ...

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This has been done in Canada for years.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There really is a point where you either need to ban it or back off.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How about this treatment for abortion clinics? Anyone have a problem with that?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not really. If you're going to do it, you should have to face up to the worst of it.

7. I don't like the government forcing these signs on people, but I have no more problem with it in an abortion clinic than I do in a store.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Already happening. You can usually find a gaggle of obnoxious "pro-lifers" getting in people's faces outside a clinic.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Glad to see oop and demo with some perspective. I appreciate it. Sportsguydoosh is his usual self, though.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Yawn. Party on, dude.

You asked if anyone had a problem with the same kind of treatment for abortion clinics. I pointed out that it happens. I don't have a problem with anyone expressing their opinion, as long as it's done respectfully.

I could come up with a lame insult to attach to your handle, but you aren't worth the effort. Have a nice day! :)

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As for the general issue of smoking, the "stand" against Big Tobacco is the height of hypocrisy, even for a government riddled with it. Rick is right; if it's such a national scourge, then make it illegal. Of course, most everyone knows why that will never, ever happen.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Never mind the huge difference between the stores BEING FORCED TO MAKE ROOM FOR BIG POSTERS ON THEIR WALLS while the clinics get buffer zone laws preventing the protesters from getting too close.

Man, you really are clueless.

Draft saved Draft deleted