1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC SJ Event

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting.
    For a variety of reasons, The Queen and I will probably have to postpone our annual summer trek to NYC.
    To this week. My disappointment has turned to, well, joy. JR and Spnited are two on here I've been dying to meet and have not yet had the chance to do so. HC, too. This could be perfect.

G-bread, I may be in touch. Until HarrisMediaServices gets it in high gear, I have to be much more careful with my money than I'm used to being. The Queen and I count as one. We have THREE dogs so we're OK there. We hate the Yankees and the Mets but not with any kind of passion. And I'm a neat freak to the point where my kids tell me the hotel should give a discount because they don't really need the housekeepers while we are there.

This will be one outing where The Queen can't say, "We're so much older than all of them - are you the only senior citizen on that board??"

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought Spirited was around when New York was named New Amsterdam.

I'll have to check my schedule. For me, a lot can happen in the next several months. I've never met anyone from SJ, though I'd love to.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the big event.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hopefully I can make it up for the Friday or Saturday activities (I'm going to have my last Thursday night summer session class that date).

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What Ginger has in mind is breakfast in bed for 100.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... we'll have to see. I really, really want to - JR and S-P are two of my favorites (and no, we will NOT forget HC and plenty of other worthy mentions ... ).

And IJAG, am I girly enough for you? :D ;D Someone REALLY should take gingerbread up on her offer. I'm really looking forward to meeting her someday.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, I'm in town those days, so I'll plan to make an appearance before returning to the comfort of the northern suburbs.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

HC, what hotels would you recommend for proximity to the festivities?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

GB, proximity doesn't matter. As long as you're in the city (I'd probably avoid Queens, though, just for distance sake), you're fine. Subways will get you anywhere. When I was looking, I pretty much selected anything on the island of Manhattan. You could do Brooklyn and stuff, with no problems.

There IS, I've found, a pretty steep drop off in quality between say the 2 1/2 star hotels and the 2-stars. Last time we had the NYC gathering, I think wicked found a Days Inn not too far from Times Square. I could be wrong on the location. It wasn't beautiful, but it was cheap and good enough for anyone else who crashed there.

10. This sounds...interesting.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Might have to make that long haul from that great expanse of America west of the Hudson for this. If JR and spnited make it to August, that is.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you're that worried about it, bring a oxygen tank big enough for sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted