1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC SJ.comers! Help, with Broadway show info and attire!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 16, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: NYC SportsJournalists.comers! Help!

Big -

I was vaguely aware of the gentrification wrangle over there, since we live not far from it. But it's always taken a certain joie de vivre - or at least joie de guerre and tourist courage - to stay at the Chelsea. Who knows which drunken poet/actor/sculptor might black your eye in the bar downstairs? Or walk in on you in the bath?

Thanks for the great link to the ongoing squabbles and crotchets of the craziest hotel in America.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Oh, and don't forget the Hotel Pennsylvania, across the street from The Garden. Since the dog show just came and went, it should be in its highest state of guest readiness. Like playing Pebble Beach right after the Open.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There are fancier hotels, but I like the Crowne Plaza over near the UN because it's on 42nd, but just east enough for the neighborhood to be relatively uncrowded. Some decent dining options in all price ranges up Second Ave.

http://nymag.com/listings/hotel/crowne-plaza-un/

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not to wig anyone out... But wasn't that the place that had the bedbug infestation? Did they get it under control?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I thought that was a couple of years ago, but, um, scratch it from the list.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A discount-site favorite. Convenient to Grand Central. Have stayed there on numerous occasions. Sometimes, the desk can be a bit oblivious, but you can't have everything.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Don't stay at the New Yorker.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Look out for the heating/cooling, and windows that stick.

Cheap, but you're getting what you pay for.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How much do you want to spend per night?

Agree with whomever said not to stay near MSG...too many other better locations.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sounds like he's willing to go high #1X0s . . .

11. Re: NYC SportsJournalists.comers! Help!

Ideally, I'd like to spend about $200 a night, but I don't think that will net me any decent/classic place.
    The places I'm looking are running $700-800 for three nights.
    I checked out Expedia at got a prelininary deal on round-trip flight and three nights lodging at the Lucerne for just undr $1,500. Is that good, can I do better?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What broad, general area are you flying from?

Draft saved Draft deleted