1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC Outing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Jul 18, 2013.

?

Go see the Brewers-Mets at 4:10 pm at Citi Field?

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. ambivalent

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

People ask me now and then why I do this - the outing is why. Yeah, there are some assholes around here who make things difficult for all of us and make it no fun at times. They are a very small minority. Most of the people here are outstanding and I got another strong reminder of that in New York. A fabulous time with people I'd met previously and some new faces.

Standing ovation for Amy and Cran for pulling this together. Cran didn't have a weak choice among all the places he selected to hang out. I got the impression at the museum that maybe, just maybe, the two of them wished they hadn't stayed quite so long at one of them the night before but they rallied strong. The cajun brunch was a perfect finish.

Cran is an all-star and his awesomeness would have been sealed without his cool story. I've worked with Gingerbread and "known" her for a while, but this was the first time we'd met in person. She is terrific. But I already knew that. Ragu was another I met for the first time even though I knew him. He's aces and I'm eager to hang out with him again. Even if he did blow us off Saturday!

SmallTownGuy hung out with us and it was like we were old friends. Great guy. I'd met Dooley, PaperDoll, wicked, GB Hack and Crazed Chipmunk before and it was quite fun to see them and hang out with them again. Quality people. And Amy remains a Hall of Famer, though she's nowhere old enough to be an actual Hall of Famer.

I know some of you are reluctant to attend these things for a variety of reasons and I understand some of that. But trust me: get past it and attend if there's a future one you can make.

This is a terrific community and a handful of assholes won't change that.

Thanks again everyone for a great weekend.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It was way more about the people than the venues. So THANK YOU to Amy, BYH, dooley Frank Ridgeway, Gingerbread, Moddy, PaperDoll, Small Town Guy, Ragu, GB-Hack, crazedchipmunk, wicked (and his friend Gina), not just showing up but bringing your party hats and a distinct lack of inhibition.

Special, special thanks to Amy and PaperDoll who worked it behind the scenes to develop the itinerary and ensure it came off without a glitch. Also, I can't say enough about my new best friend Moddy for coming early, staying late and lending his board cred to the event.

There were a handful of posters (IJAG, the Canadians, copperpot, etc.) who couldn't make it to NYC but who were nonetheless there in spirit. (Among the highlights was a call with Johnny Dangerously during the cajun brunch.) So be assured we toasted all of you. Also be assured we talked smack about you.

As for actual details, there were no arrests (of which I'm aware) and everyone seems to have found their way home Sunday morning. Beyond that, I'm still trying to piece some of it together, especially the part when we returned from the tequileria to Beer Authority for multiple nightcaps with Dooley. That's somewhat hazy. Maybe some of you can provide a few hints?

Minor correction: Team cranberrytm has no minions, just all-stars. The organizational philosophy is to surround me with people of much higher intellect and stronger character.

I got to sit between Amy and Gingerbread on a cab ride. Does that count?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Depends on where you had your hands.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Despite diminished inhibitions, I recall being mindful of avoiding a scene in which the host gets his ass kicked by two women on Eighth Ave.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, we were a little disappointed by that. The pool got quite large and my money was on Amy.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would have put money on gingerbread. Feisty lady.

Draft saved Draft deleted