1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC outdoor smoking ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 24, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't live in New York City, but I've been there I'd guess a minimum of a hundred times. I have family who live in Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx, so I go to the city often. Maybe the difference between living there and visiting there is drastic, I don't know, but I've never suffered the suffocating second-hand smoke you speak about.

If someone is lighting up before leaving the subway, yeah, that sucks, but my point wasn't that smoking in a confined space is OK. I was saying that when you're out in the open air, second-hand smoke is really nothing more than a momentary nuisance.

I've been all over the city and just never come close to experiencing what you describe.

It sounds like you're a non-smoker who is irritated by smoke and you exaggerate how bad the problem is in your everyday life.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Another unfair law by the nanny society. I don't understand why smoking outdoors is banned.

Smoking has a lot of positive benefits, for the smoker him (or her) self, the people around that person, and the environment.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Pern, I am not exaggerating anything. I never once used the word suffocating, as you just did, and I wasn't saying the entire city is being overrun by cigarette smoke. I'd actually guess on a per capita basis, less people in NYC smoke than in most parts of the country.

I still hate walking behind people who leave a trail of secondhand smoke for me to have to breathe, and that is WAY more common than apparently you believe. I deal with that every day. I am constantly having to speed up my walk to pass people who are smoking, so I don't have to breathe the health hazard they are leaving behind for everyone walking behind them.

I hate having to walk down a street when people are congregated outside blowing smoke at passerbys. It's disgusting. And it can be overwhelming.

And I hate it whenever I am in Central Park and someone is ruining things for me by smoking. Good riddance, to the extent they can enforce this.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Nanny society" implies this is designed to somehow protect people from themselves.

I think smoking is an incredibly stupid thing to do, but my wanting to see it banned from public places (including outdoors) isn't because I want to protect smokers from themselves.

I want to protect myself from them.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now that last bit is a wonderful idea. Too bad it'll never happen, for the reasons BYM laid out.

Draft saved Draft deleted