1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC hotel advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can we work out a discounted stay if we agree to babysit?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

For a wedding weekend, how much time would you really spend in the room? There's a Red Roof Inn on 32nd, across from the Empire State Building. Small rooms, but nice, and chain-cheap. It's right in Koreatown and adjacent to Herald Square.

And, Jones, I hate to say it, but the Krispy Kreme on 23rd St. closed.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Ballscribe, the Hyatt is a lot better now. Rooms are much brighter, you don't feel like you are in a tomb.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I like the Crowne Plaza. It's on 42nd across town from where you want to be, but a reasonably safe neighborhood with more realistically priced dining options nearby (up Second Ave.) than you'd find near Times Square. There is a subway shuttle from Grand Central (two blocks) to Times Square. Rooms are small but nice and reasonably priced by Manhattan standards.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/NYCUN/welcome

5. donnie23

donnie23 Member

A vote for the brand new Holiday Inn Express a couple of blocks south of MSG. It's as clean as can be because it opened three months ago, and you get the respectable free breakfast to boot. Scored it for about $169/night on Travelocity for Thanksgiving weekend.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The only time I've been to New York was for a college newspaper convention in the early 90s and it was the Marriott in Times Square.
    It had a great view, room was OK. I've stayed at nicer places since.
    Oh and if anyone remembers the sports guy from Newsday/Post making fun of all of us aspiring sports scribes, I was there.
    Basically the guy asked everyone in the room on what they wanted to cover and everyone raised their hands to the big pro and college beats. Then he asked who wanted to cover ice skating and gymnastics and such and no one raised their hand.
    He was like, that's what I cover and I've been to every corner of the globe and my paper picked up the check for everything. You are all very stupid for not considering everything the paper covers.
    That was going on 15 years ago and I still remember it. And I think the guy is still there, so Filip Bundy or something like that, maybe, you can suck it. But you were right

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I stayed at the Warwick when I was there. They changed all their signage from "The Beatles once stayed here" to "Bubbler got his freak on here."

Or so I'm told.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Marriott on the East side is not that far from Broadway. Wife and I have stayed there several times and it's a nice walk. Not as crazy crowded as the Times Square hotels. We've also done the Courtyard that was mentioned here.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sold!

11. da el g

da el g Member

a second on Park Central- easy walk to Times Square and Central Park, great location, we stayed for $189.00/night over Labor Day weekend, nice affordable diner across the street, Carnegie Deli is biggest rip off in the world, go to Katz's or Sarge's

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Inky:

Have you considered looking into a Priceline bid? Big cities like NYC have bargains galore on P/L. Never been to NYC so for individual hotels I'm not of much use :(

If you are looking at the Roosevelt Hotel (P/L 3*- mediocre reviews), it seems as if Midtown East, where the Roosevelt is located, sees the 4* Grand Hyatt come up frequently between $110 and $125 a nite (which means including tax out the door at around $150 a nite in Manhattan). It's gotten pretty decent overall reviews.

I use P/L frequently, so I can point you in the right direction if needed. Just send me a PM and I'll try to assist.

Draft saved Draft deleted