1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC hotel advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Heading there for a wedding in late May, and we're looking at staying at the Roosevelt Hotel. Is that a good choice for the money?

(I know, I know. This thread has been done to death. Sorry.)

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Probably a good move. How much is the Roosevelt charging these days? For a similar price, the recently renovated Sheraton might be a better choice.

3. Inky_Wretch

I think Mrs. Wretch said it would average $220 per night. But I'll check the Sheraton nearby as well.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Have never stayed at the Roosevelt.
    Depending on where you want/need to be, Marriott East Side is a terrific hotel. The Intercontinental Barclay right by there is excellent, as well. I love the location of the NYC Renaissance, but I have had spotty service there. The W is hyper-trendy, the kind of place where they make sure you know they're better than you, even if you make three times as much as all the little snoots doing the snooting. The NY Hilton rooms can be small, but it's a very well-done hote.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I will post here what I told Inky in a PM: The Waldorf-Astoria may be the worst value I've ever seen.

Went to visit a friend staying there, and it was a smaller room than pretty much any I've ever been in. For $495 a night.

6. Dedo

Dedo Member

I'll cast another emphatic vote for the Marriott East Side. One of its best features is that it's within stumbling walking distance from P.J. Clarke's.

7. Inky_Wretch

Marriott East Side was my choice. Thanks to the FWAA discount card, I could get in there for $199 per. But I was shot down because it was too far from Broadway and all the places people (there are eight of us) want to visit.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Wretch, when I go to NYC, it's mostly for Broadway. It's not that far from Marriott East Side to Braodway. I suppose maybe if you're going in winter it'd be different, hard to walk in the cold, but it's a quickie cab ride for not very much money.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Fuckin' A on P.J. Clarke's...

As for hotels, I like to stay at the Chelsea. Flea-bitten but quiet as a tomb. Plus, there's a Krispy Kreme across the street.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I almost always Hotwire it when the Mrs. and I are looking for a night away. I've never spent more than $140 a night, and the hotels that keep coming up are the Hyatt Regency near Grand Central, the Barclay Intercontinental (awesome place) and the Hilton New York.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Don't get a place infested with bedbugs. "Dateline" or "48 Hours" or something last summer had a show about NYC (and other major city) hotels being fucking ate up with bedbugs. Or just spray the bed with a little Roundup, and you're good to go.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Joe's version of foreplay, just so's you know.

Draft saved Draft deleted